more questions

  • neverforreal13 <neverforreal13@yahoo.com>
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 3, 2003
      Hi
      I hope this doesn't drive everyone crazy- but I have some more basic
      questions about "Elvish". I decided to get a tattoo in Elvish, which
      is obviously not an origianl idea, but I think it's a good choice for
      a tattoo. I want it to be one word: Strength. I figured all I needed
      to do is look up the word in Elvish then figure out what the script
      would be. That is when I found out about Quenya and Sindarin, etc..
      and I realized it would be incredibly complex. I read the
      site "Writing with Elvish Fonts" I also read a few other sites. I am
      assuming that most of the time the main Characters i.e. Aragorn and
      Legolas spoke in Sindarin, while Quenya was for more formal events.
      That's what I've gathered. But is the One Ring inscribed in Quenya,
      Black Speech or Sindarin? Furthermore, does anyone know the word for
      "strength" in Elvish and how can I translate our alphabet of 26
      letters into Tengwar? ANY help would be much appreciated.
      Thanks!
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 4, 2003
        teithant "neverforreal13 <neverforreal13@...>"

        > That's what I've gathered. But is the One Ring
        > inscribed in Quenya,
        > Black Speech or Sindarin? Furthermore, does anyone

        Black Speech, written in tengwar (although it sounds
        strange, thing that you can write japanese with roman
        letters)

        > know the word for
        > "strength" in Elvish a

        bellas in sindarin
        tuo in Quenya

        > nd how can I translate our
        > alphabet of 26
        > letters into Tengwar? ANY help would be much

        tengwar is a system based on quenya phonology, then
        readapted in sindarin and others..

        look http://hem.passagen.se/mansb/at about info on
        tengwar (mainly quenya)

        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 5, 2003
          Hi
          Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it. I was able to download
          Tengwar script as well so that I can translate the letters.
          I guess now I just need to decide whether I want Quenya or Sindarin
          for my tattoo.
          :-)

        • Mike <abrigon@yahoo.com>
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 9, 2003
            Some languages are more prone to following vowels..

            Example being "The","Be" and like. While some lingos use vowels in
            front. Example being "Able", "Although" and like.

            One lends it self to "diacritical" (vowel mark) that follows, and can
            be artistically pleasing.. As well as functional. both can be fun.
            Then you have modes that use full letters versus "diacritical" or like
            marks to signify vowels.. The first is much like how Arabic and Hebrew
            and related lingos use it. While the third is how English is most
            often done.. Really fun when you use Tengwar for a lingo like Arabic,
            with the no real need to show vowels other than for new
            learners/children.

            Of course lingos like Sanskrit that uses a syllybary can be a bit fun
            to figure out for Tengwar. Do you use the mode to signify the
            syllybles or you do it like English and have one letter for one
            consonant, or consonant and vowels?

            One ring was done in an ancient pure form of Black Speech, invented by
            Morgoth the former Vala named Melkor. And only used by the dark
            enemies lieutenants and like, such as the Maia (former) later
            named Sauron.

            Mike

            --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, "neverforreal13