Re: [elfscript] Wedding Ring inscription

  • Harri Perälä
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 28, 2003
      kathleenbignell wrote:

      > I would like to have the inside of my wedding ring inscribed with a
      > word or phrase in Elvish. I have not decided what yet. I would like
      > some help on what considerations I need to make.

      The basic steps for writing a name, explained in message 1600, mostly
      apply to other kinds of Tengwar inscriptions as well. Some other things
      that come to mind:

      - If you want a translation into an Elvish language rather than a mere
      transcription, you will have to form some kind of an opinion on how many
      educated guesses can be tolerated in such translations. People seem to
      have very different views on our ability to use Tolkien's Quenya and
      Sindarin, or at least they phrase their opinions in very different ways.
      An example of an optimistic and a pessimistic view can be seen in
      message 1632. Discussing these problems in detail is not really on topic
      for Elfscript, though.

      (To avoid confusion, it is best to use "translation" only for
      translations from a language to another; writing the same words in a
      different writing system is transcription or possibly transliteration.)

      - As the upcoming FAQ answer says, there are plenty of alternatives when
      writing English in Tengwar. It seems to me that one of the main choices
      is "freedom of expression" vs. "standard spelling". Is it ok to invent
      your own spelling conventions based on the general system, or should one
      of the attested examples be followed as closely as possible? What kind
      of mode to use? Phonemic modes are more appealing to some, but with an
      orthographic mode it is easier to prove that the spelling is "correct"
      by comparing it with attested examples. See, for example, message 1470.

      > several Quenya translators, where if I find the word I am looking for
      > in English, and type it out in Elvish using latin letters, then it
      > will give me a translation in a Quenya font... but the look of the
      > letters isn't right.

      In what way? The Quenya Tengwainen tutorial
      <http://www.forodrim.org/daeron/md_teng_primers.html> has many examples
      written in both Latin and Feanorian letters. You could try transcribing
      some of them with your software, and comparing the results.

      > I have downloaded fonts by Daniel Smith and the TengScribe
      > translator. Are these good sources?

      When you know what you are doing, they are very good tools. Automatic
      transcription seems to work fairly well, at least for the Elvish
      languages (thanks to their straightforward Latin spelling), but it has
      its limitations.

      Some good sources of information were listed in message 1640 (however,
      ...~alboin/tengwartutorial.htm does not really teach anyone to write in
      Tengwar :)

      --
      Harri Perälä perala@... http://www.sci.fi/%7ealboin/