Re: [elfscript] space

  • Mans Bjorkman
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 22, 2001
      Jonathan Wust wrote:

      > As far as I know, Tolkien always used the space. But I think, concerning the languages created by himself, it was because theyre not so well-known, and concerning his English tengwar samples, because after all, he always remained (in some degree) with the traditional orthography (which of course does make use of the space).

      Actually, the Ring-inscription does without spaces.

      > I think, there are two important arguments not to use the space in a phonematic tengwar mode:
      >
      > 1: There is no need for a space, because nobody has ever said a space between two words in a sentence - the space is nothing but orthography.
      >
      > 2: It just looks more beautyful.

      Indeed, spaces or other kinds of word-boundary markers are by no means
      necessary to writing. Many scripts do without them. And since Feanor
      didn't make up any conventions for the languages of this dark age, we
      are free to do so entirely to our liking (of course, we would be even if
      he had).

      But as Lisa pointed out, text with no word boundaries might be rather
      hard to read, at least to us "westerners". If you want quick
      comprehension by fellow Tengwandili, I'd suggest you keep the spaces --
      but if you on the other hand lay more weight on the beauty of your
      writing than its immediate readability, you're not alone: scribes in the
      middle ages did so for several hundred years.

      Yours,
      Måns

      --
      Måns Björkman "Mun þu mik!