Re: [elfscript] space

  • Lisa Star
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 21, 2001
      >jonathan wust <choni@...> wrote:

      [snip]

      >I think, there are two important arguments not to use the space in a
      >phonematic tengwar mode:
      >
      >1: There is no need for a space, because nobody has ever said a space
      >between two words in a sentence - the space is nothing but orthography.
      >
      >2: It just looks more beautyful.

      **well, for heaven's sake, spaces make it easier to read, especially for
      non-native speakers. Spaces between words are used in all writing modes
      that I can think of since their "discovery" in late classical times. I
      think that is a good indication of their value.

      **On the other hand, if you want to write without them--have at it! I
      expect it is quite beautiful.

      **By the way, I don't know if you have seen this or not, but he didn't use
      spaces in writing the Sarati, and the one example that we have of that, in
      English, is rather difficult to read. I am publishing an example of sarati
      for Quenya, (that I made up myself) in the next issue of TT, and I added
      spaces in because I didn't think anyone would be able to read it otherwise.

      ** Lisa Star
      ** LisaStar@...

    • Mans Bjorkman
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 22, 2001
        Jonathan Wust wrote:

        > As far as I know, Tolkien always used the space. But I think, concerning the languages created by himself, it was because theyre not so well-known, and concerning his English tengwar samples, because after all, he always remained (in some degree) with the traditional orthography (which of course does make use of the space).

        Actually, the Ring-inscription does without spaces.

        > I think, there are two important arguments not to use the space in a phonematic tengwar mode:
        >
        > 1: There is no need for a space, because nobody has ever said a space between two words in a sentence - the space is nothing but orthography.
        >
        > 2: It just looks more beautyful.

        Indeed, spaces or other kinds of word-boundary markers are by no means
        necessary to writing. Many scripts do without them. And since Feanor
        didn't make up any conventions for the languages of this dark age, we
        are free to do so entirely to our liking (of course, we would be even if
        he had).

        But as Lisa pointed out, text with no word boundaries might be rather
        hard to read, at least to us "westerners". If you want quick
        comprehension by fellow Tengwandili, I'd suggest you keep the spaces --
        but if you on the other hand lay more weight on the beauty of your
        writing than its immediate readability, you're not alone: scribes in the
        middle ages did so for several hundred years.

        Yours,
        Måns

        --
        Måns Björkman "Mun þu mik!