Re: [elfscript] Re: [elfling] Oore, roomen, halla, etc.

  • Lisa Star
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 21 7:52 PM
      >Mans Bjorkman <mansb@...> wrote:

      But leaving that aside, during the middle ages it was common
      >practice to use "decorative spelling", adding some letters here and
      >there (often _h_ -- as we all know "Thame with an _h_ is a folly without
      >warrant"), just because it made the words look better. Now if a D�nadan
      >of the Fourth Age found himself able to write /r/ in two different ways,
      >he would surely make use of that flexibility.

      **I think this is a correct point. Most consonants in tengwar have
      descenders that extend down and somewhat to the left, depending on how long
      and curly you want to make them. An r of the romen type has a very wide
      descending loop which would tend to interfere with these but ore would fit
      well preceding such letters. I think is the reason ore is preferred in
      combination with another consonant (preceding it). In addition, ore at the
      end of a word is nice because the luva can have a "fish tail"--a type of
      flourish--extended to the right, which gives a nice flourish to the end of
      the word and relieves stress in the calligrapher's hand, not coincidentally.
      This seems to be the choice that is made in the Namarie poem.

      **I don't quite consider this to be decorative so much as it increases
      readability and relieves writer's cramp--a serious consideration for
      manuscript producers.

      ** Lisa Star
      ** LisaStar@...
    • BP Jonsson
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 22 4:42 AM
        At 17:23 2001-03-21 +0100, Mans Bjorkman wrote:
        >"D. Daniel Andriës" wrote:
        > >
        > > My opinion is that we could think of the LotR and QS eras as times of
        > > non-standardised orthographies much like Europe's Mediæval and Rennaissance
        > > years. I agree with the usual practice of using 'rómen' before a vowel and
        > > 'óre' before consonants and finally, but I can see no reason that some
        > > scribes wouldn't use them interchangeably.
        >
        >I agree with you: most evidence seems to suggest that spelling in the
        >Third Age was far from standardized; or, at least, adhered to several
        >different "schools". This in itself is an interesting topic of study --
        >but when writing myself I prefer to follow one of the set of rules that
        >were demonstrably in use.

        I agree most emphatically. I have uploaded my hypothesis on what Feanorin
        orthography was like to <http://www.netg.se/~bp/tengwanda.jpg>, since a
        picture says more than a thousand words...

        /BP 8^)>
        --
        B.Philip Jonsson mailto:bpX@... (delete X)
        A h-ammen ledin i phith! \ \
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 24 2:29 AM
          I'm just wondering... where are columns 7 and 8 from?