Devanagari Tengwar Mode

  • Shreyas Sampat <laopooh@yahoo.com>
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 10, 2003
      So, I decided to take upon myself the challenge of writing a mode
      for a character-set that's bigger than the Tengwar are intended to
      handle: Devanagari.

      It works out surprisingly well:

      Consonants:
      Like Devanagari, D-mode tengwar have an "inherent vowel". A plain
      tengwa is pronounced with a following schwa. The vowel can
      be "killed" by the under-tilde, or vowel diacritics can indicate
      that a different vowel is used.

      Stops/Nasals:
      Like the English mode, columns 1, 2, 3, and 4 are used for dentals,
      labials, postalveolars, and velars respectively. Devanagari mode
      also adds a fifth column (using col.1 tengwar with two sub-dots) for
      retroflexes.
      row 1: voiceless stops.
      row 2: voiced stops.
      row 3: voiceless, aspirated stops.
      row 4: voiced, "aspirated" stops.
      row 5: nasals.

      Semivowels:
      For ya, ra, la, lla, va I use yanta, romen, lambe, alda, ure.

      Sibilants:
      sha, s.a, sa, ha : aze, aze-with-two-dots, esse[1], halla[2].

      Hindi flaps:
      rda, rdha: col. 1 w/extended stem. 1 luva, 2 luvar.

      Additional letters:
      qa: col4row1 w/2 dots below
      xa Ga (velar fricatives): col4 w/extended stem. 1 luva, 2 luvar.
      za: esse-with-2-dots-below.
      fa: col2 w/ext. stem, 1 luva.

      Ligaturing and diacritics:
      ksha uses the sc-ligature.
      D-mode uses s-curls for r, rather than s. Upward curls indicate
      preceding r, downward indicates following.
      The over-tilde can be used for nasal+stop combinations.
      The over-twist indicates a nasalized vowel.
      reverse triple under-dots equates to the D. visarga.

      Vowels:
      Vowels have two forms, a diacritic form and a "full" form. The full
      form is used at the beginning of words and following another vowel.

      full forms:
      i: yanta with dot below
      long i: long carrier w/ superscript yanta
      e: short carrier w/ acute
      ai: long carrier w/ superscript acute
      o: short carrier w/ leftward curl
      au: long carrier w/ leftward curl
      u: ure with dot below
      long u: long carrier w/ rightward curl
      schwa: short carrier
      a: long carrier

      These do not have diacritic forms:
      syllabic r: arda
      long s. r: arda and s. carrier
      syllabic l: alda with two dots inside (below?)
      long s. l: above and s. carrier

      diacritic forms:
      i: overdot
      l. i: superscript yanta
      e: acute
      ai: double acute
      o: left curl
      au: double left curl
      u: right curl
      l. u: double right curl
      schwa: none.
      a: triple over-dots

      [1]: nuquerna variants of these carry the dots above, below any
      vowel diacritic.
      [2]: halla becomes long carrier with s-curl if vowel diacritics are
      added.

      ---Shreyas Sampat
    • Shreyas Sampat <laopooh@yahoo.com>
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 10, 2003
        Correction: Where I said esse, I meant silme.