Re: [elfscript] Tengwar Parmaite font now available

  • Michael Everson
    Message 1 of 15 , Mar 2, 2001
      At 18:33 +0100 2001-03-02, Edward J. Kloczko wrote:

      >It reminds me that Frodo was (if I remember right) unable to _read_ the
      >Ring-inscription, this would point towards the theory that my reconstruced
      >"Northern Mode" was in fact the only one used in the Shire at that time.

      "I cannot read the fiery letters" could simply mean that he didn't
      understand the Black Speech.
      --
      Michael Everson ** Everson Gunn Teoranta ** http://www.egt.ie
      Mob +353 86 807 9169 ** Fax +353 1 478 2597 ** Vox +353 1 478 2597
      Message 2 of 15 , Mar 2, 2001
        Måns Björkman wrote:
        > Tengwar Parmaite font now available

        I installed it, and I can certainly recommend it. I find it very clear and
        legible. While no font can ever quite match the calligraphy that only a
        living hand can achieve, the Parmaite font looks nice and tidy. If I were
        to print a book in Tengwar, this font would probably be the one I would
        use, based on the alternatives I have seen. (Not that most of these
        alternatives were particularly bad, either!)

        Visiting Måns' site, I also noticed that the problems I have earlier
        experienced (my browser making an almost completely illegible mess of
        everything) were largely gone. I am glad, for this is an admirable site;
        Måns has done for the scripts what I have tried to do for the languages.
        Congratulations!

        - Helge Fauskanger
      • Dan Smith
        Message 3 of 15 , Mar 2, 2001
          >Date: Fri, 02 Mar 2001 10:59:26 +0100
          >From: "Edward J. Kloczko" <ejk@...>
          >Anyone has a copy of the "Quettar" with the numerals?

          try here:
          "http://www.geocities.com/fontwizard/tengnum.zip" (75KB)

          It contains PDFs of both the Quettar (1987) and the
          Beyond Bree (1984) articles on numerals.

          --
          Daniel Steven Smith / fontmaster@...
          Fantasy Fonts for Windows / <><
          Message 4 of 15 , Mar 7, 2001
            >From: Dan Smith <dansmith@...>
            >To: elfscript@yahoogroups.com
            >CC: ejk@...
            >Subject: [elfscript] Re: Tengwar Parmaite font now available
            >Date: Fri, 02 Mar 2001 19:51:48 -0500
            >
            > >Date: Fri, 02 Mar 2001 10:59:26 +0100
            > >From: "Edward J. Kloczko" <ejk@...>
            > >Anyone has a copy of the "Quettar" with the numerals?
            >
            >try here:
            >"http://www.geocities.com/fontwizard/tengnum.zip" (75KB)

            **this address doesn't work.

            >It contains PDFs of both the Quettar (1987) and the
            >Beyond Bree (1984) articles on numerals.

            ** Lisa Star
            ** LisaStar@...
          • Dan Smith
            Message 5 of 15 , Mar 8, 2001
              >>From: Dan Smith <dansmith@...>
              >>Date: Fri, 02 Mar 2001 19:51:48 -0500
              >>"http://www.geocities.com/fontwizard/tengnum.zip" (75KB)
              >>It contains PDFs of both the Quettar (1987) and the
              >>Beyond Bree (1984) articles on numerals.
              >
              >Date: Wed, 07 Mar 2001 23:35:43 -0000
              >From: "Lisa Star" <amlug4@...>
              >**this address doesn't work.

              I just tried it and it worked for me.
              Perhaps geocities was having one of it's fits when
              you were trying to download it.