Re: [elfscript] 1 more idiot to add to the bag

  • Rhois
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 30, 2002
      Thank you so much for that! I figured I could study it...learning it fluently does seem like it wouldn't be so easy to do. But when I searched for information, I was bombarded with websites, etc..and had no idea where to start! So thank you so much for giving me some sort of direction! Rhois
      DDanielA@... wrote:Teithant Rhois (Meril?):
      >I have been looking for the translation of the word
      >'rose', but haven't found it.

      Ah, you might be in luck! You didn't specify Quenya or Sindarin. (For
      some reason, people tend to want Quenya translations of their names, but
      if you notice in LotR, the only Quenya names used, as far as I can
      remember, are Sauron, Eärendil, Varda and the royal names of the Kings
      of the Dúnedain. The huge majority of names in 'Elvish' are Sindarin.)
      Anyway, the Sindarin word/name for 'Rose' is attested in the King's
      Letter: _Meril_.

      >Also, another question, as much elvish as I'm
      >reading about, etc, how does one go about starting
      >to truly learn it? Where do you start?

      There has been much discussion about whether you can 'learn' the Eldarin
      languages or merely 'study' them. You can certainly 'learn about' them,
      but you cannot learn to speak Quenya or Sindarin fluently; we don't know
      enough about them to do so and probably never will. Probably the best
      starting place is www.ardalambion. com ... Good luck!

      "No one can terrorize a whole nation, unless we are all his accomplices." - Edward R. Murrow

      "The Sunshine bores the daylights out of me."

      "A fatal attraction holding me fast, How can I escape this irresistable grasp?"