Re: Non-Latin Fonts

    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 29, 2002
      > we are supposed to see the movie as would the hobbits would.. and the
      hobbits would understand their own mode of the tengwar.. it had to be
      familiar to us

      Yes. I tend to think of the use of modern letters in the movies as "visual
      dubbing". The letters are "really" in Tengwar, but to help a modern
      audience, we "see" them as Roman letters (just like we hear English instead
      of Westron...Elijah Wood, Ian McKellen etc. are of course just voice actors
      here, dubbing the original Westron soundtrack, though many people seem to
      believe that they actually ACT in the movies... :)

      The problem is: then why don't ALL the Tengwar in the movies, even the
      Ring-inscription, appear in Roman transliteration? The Ring-inscription
      wouldn't really appear as exotic to Frodo as it does to us; to him it would
      just be a text written in an alien language. The letter-shapes would be
      more or less familiar to him, and he should be able to read the words
      phonetically (with some uncertainties relating to the exact mode used: for
      instance, he might mispronounce _durbatulϋk_ as "dorbatolτk" if he was
      unaware that the Black Speech uses the curl to the right for U rather than
      O as in most other modes).

      - HKF