Re: [elfscript] Re: English mode

    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 17, 2002
      teithant "Chris Hickman
      <chris.hickman@...>"

      > I am referring to a mode found in 'Tengwar Textbook'
      > by Chris Mckay
      > found at this link:
      > http://www.geocities.com/tengwar2001/index.html
      >
      > English Mode of Beleriand – Style One (Tom Bombadil
      > & Errantry
      > Inscriptions)

      aha, i find possible that Tolkien made an English mode
      based on the Mode of Beleriand.. however the one best
      known is based on the Mode of Gondor..

      > So, is it possible for anyone to creat a mode using
      > the tengwar to
      > represent any sound/letters that they wished. And if
      > so how is it
      > possible for anyone else to read what has been
      > written?

      yes it is.. that's called "mode"... in order to
      communicate with someone, you must make clear your
      mode.. same happens with the latin alphabet wich is
      used in various "modes" through the world..

      for example "no more" has different pronounciation
      (and meaning) depending on whether you wrote it in
      English or in Italian... for example "no more" in
      italian means "no berries" :)

      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 17, 2002
        Gildor Inglorion teithant:
        > teithant "Chris Hickman
        > <chris.hickman@b...>"
        > > So, is it possible for anyone to creat a mode using
        > > the tengwar to
        > > represent any sound/letters that they wished. And if
        > > so how is it
        > > possible for anyone else to read what has been
        > > written?

        Same question: how is it possible we understand each other when
        everyone uses his own version of the language we speak? I'm sure my
        _a_ is different from yours!

        > yes it is.. that's called "mode"... in order to
        > communicate with someone, you must make clear your
        > mode.. same happens with the latin alphabet wich is
        > used in various "modes" through the world..

        That's a good point. And it brings up the question: why do we call
        that thing a _mode_, when everybody else calls it an _orthography_?
        Sure I know _orthography_ sounds like school, but at least everybody
        knows what you mean. But by talking about a _mode_, we first have to
        explain everybody what we mean.

        suilaid
      • Chris Hickman <chris.hickman@blueyonder.
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 17, 2002
          Ah! the penny drops. :)

          Thanks for those explanations they have cleared the water a little.

          I'm going to check out those previous posts now.

          Thanks
          Chris