help! I need a phrase converted to tengwar

  • Kelly <calypso_36@yahoo.com>
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 14, 2002
      I am a huge fan of the lord of the rings trilogy and have decided to
      get a tattoo of a phrase in tengwar, but I need help to translate it
      from english to tengwar. The phrase is "to where it may lead" If
      anyone can help please email me! Calypso_36@... Thanks!
    • DDanielA@webtv.net
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 14, 2002
        Teithant Kelly:
        >I am a huge fan of the lord of the rings trilogy and
        >have decided to get a tattoo of a phrase in tengwar,
        >but I need help to translate it from english to
        >tengwar. The phrase is "to where it may lead"

        English written in Tengwar (transliterated)?
        There's no *one* definitive English mode, but I'll give two suggestions:

        Title Page Inscription Mode: tinco - short carrier + 'o' curl, hwesta
        sindarinwa - óre + accent tehta and single under-dot, tinco +
        single over-dot tehta, malta - anna + triple over-dot tehta, lambe -
        short carrier + accent tehta - ando + triple over-dot tehta

        or

        King's Letter Mode (which I prefer for English): tinco - anna, hwesta
        sindarinwa - yanta - óre + single under-dot, short carrier - tinco,
        malta - vilya + double over-dot tehta, lambe - yanta - vilya - ando

        Cuio mae, Danny.
      • Chris Hickman <chris.hickman@blueyonder.
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 14, 2002
          Hi, I am fairly new to Tengwar etc. but I found this site to be a
          great resource for learning about Tengwar and the languages created
          by Tolkien:

          http://www.ardalambion.com/

          It's full of good source material and has a link to a good
          translating program YATT2. I have found this program to be useful
          but have realised, as I have studied, that it can't replace learning
          the Tengwar from first principles.

          If this seems like too much hard work then you will have to rely
          upon a kindly soul to transcribe for you. I'd have a go but I am not
          yet confident enough to attempt this for another.

          Regards
          Chris
          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 14, 2002
            teithant "Chris Hickman

            > Hi, I am fairly new to Tengwar etc. but I found this
            > site to be a
            > great resource for learning about Tengwar and the
            > languages created
            > by Tolkien:
            >
            > http://www.ardalambion.com/

            this is indeed a great resource, but it's not about
            TEngwar in any matter :)

            > It's full of good source material and has a link to
            > a good
            > translating program YATT2.

            since tengwar is a writing system, not a language,
            YATT2 is not a translating program

            I have found this program
            > to be useful
            > but have realised, as I have studied, that it can't
            > replace learning
            > the Tengwar from first principles.

            right!!

            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 14, 2002
              > this is indeed a great resource, but it's not about
              > TEngwar in any matter :)

              Thanks for pointing this out as my message did seem to imply that I
              thought Tengwar was a language. As you rightly say it is just a
              writing system. I know that the link I gave was for a site dealing
              with languages but I thought it would be useful for getting some
              background information and showing how vast the whole subject was.

              > since tengwar is a writing system, not a language,
              > YATT2 is not a translating program

              Accepted! I should have wrote transliterating.

              Chris
              Message 6 of 8 , Dec 15, 2002
                > Hi, I am fairly new to Tengwar etc. but I found this site to be a great
                resource for learning about Tengwar and the languages created
                > by Tolkien: http://www.ardalambion.com/

                Thanks for the compliment, but as has already been pointed out by others,
                my site proper has little to say about the Tengwar. The only actual sample
                of Tengwar script is the title "ARDALAMBION" on the index page. I write
                about the languages as such, presenting them in transliterated form. But if
                you are interested in the scripts I do provide some useful links; there are
                several excellent Tengwar pages out there.

                - HKF
                Message 7 of 8 , Dec 17, 2002
                  teithant "Helge K. Fauskanger"

                  > Thanks for the compliment, but as has already been
                  > pointed out by others,
                  > my site proper has little to say about the Tengwar.
                  > The only actual sample
                  > of Tengwar script is the title "ARDALAMBION" on the
                  > index page. I write
                  > about the languages as such, presenting them in
                  > transliterated form. But if
                  > you are interested in the scripts I do provide some
                  > useful links; there are
                  > several excellent Tengwar pages out there.

                  i think you were preparing somewhen a work about tengwar?

                  Message 8 of 8 , Dec 18, 2002
                    Gildor asked:

                    > i think you were preparing somewhen a work about tengwar?

                    It is possible that I will eventually supplement my Quenya course with a
                    write-Quenya-in-Tengwar tutorial, but nothing has been written yet.

                    - HKF