Extended movie title page tengwar

  • gildir_2
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 3, 2002
      I couldn't resist transcribing the tengwar
      (and cirth) on the 'Extended' movie DVD.
      They appear at the bottom of the 'title page'.

      Here's my attempt. Please bear in mind that
      it is based on a rough transcription from the
      TV screen, and that I have not had too much time
      to analyze it. It most certainly contains errors
      of my own making.

      ELEVENTY-OIN(E) YEARS IS FAR TOO SHORT A TIM TO LIV(E) AMONG SUCH
      EXCELLENT ND ADMIRABLE HOBBITS. I DON'T KNOW HALF

      The other:

      NIN(E) COMPANIONS TO MATCH THE NIN(E) RINGWRAITHS, SO BE IT.
      ELROND REGARDS DHM. YOU SHALL BE THE FELLOWSHIP OW THE RING!

      The Cirth inscription:

      DHERE AND BAKK AGAIN A HOBBITS TALE

      The tengwar writing mode is rather strange. I don't
      think it follows any attested specimen of Tolkien's
      tengwar. Especially since it's supposed to look like
      the inscription at the bottom of the title page of
      The Real Book.

      For example, Halla is used for X and Noldo for H.
      Perhaps this is the "English mode" by Daniel Reeve?
      (http://www.elvish.org/gwaith/movie_scripts.htm)

      Suilaid!
      Gildir, Per Lindberg