Cursive Writing

  • Talwyn Lochsyr
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 28, 2001
      Hello all! I am new to this forum but one thing I
      think is missing from the tolkienic languages is a
      true cursive script. I think that while the formal
      bookhand shapes would occur in scholarly documents and
      legal documents, the common jotted notes would require
      a mode less painstaking and somewhat faster to write.
      I am experimenting with some forms of cursive based on
      the forms occuring in english. I have attached a
      small sample, let me know if its readable or if you
      have any other questions or suggestions.

      PS please forgive any misspellings I have not yet got
      everything memorized.

      http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/
    • Edward J. Kloczko
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 28, 2001
        Please don't send such heavy GIF! :-(

        430K is much to BIG for my e-mail box.

        You image is much too big. It is B/W and could reduced.

        EJK

      • talwyn@yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 28, 2001
          Sorry,

          I didn't think it was a problem. I just threw it on a scanner and
          sent. I'll be more careful in the future.

          --Steve

          --- In elfscript@y..., "Edward J. Kloczko" <ejk@f...> wrote:
          > Please don't send such heavy GIF! :-(
          >
          > 430K is much to BIG for my e-mail box.
          >
          > You image is much too big. It is B/W and could reduced.
          >
          > EJK
        • Angasule
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 28, 2001
            Talwyn Lochsyr wrote:

            > Hello all! I am new to this forum but one thing I
            > think is missing from the tolkienic languages is a
            > true cursive script. I think that while the formal
            > bookhand shapes would occur in scholarly documents and
            > legal documents, the common jotted notes would require
            > a mode less painstaking and somewhat faster to write.
            > I am experimenting with some forms of cursive based on
            > the forms occuring in english. I have attached a
            > small sample, let me know if its readable or if you
            > have any other questions or suggestions.
            Well, first question, why the pen change? I don't think elves had
            ballpens so sticking with feather-like writing should be the best?
            About the script itself, I find it too latin-like, did you use
            Tolkien's own examples as a base? I think your lambe is too small (it
            should go well below the 'line'). Did you start writing in normal
            tengwar and naturally let it go cursive or you thought out the cursive
            shapes directly?
            About the tehtar, I think a ^-like 'a' would make a bit more sense (or
            no tehta at all for 'a'!), and the loops (u and o) aren't distinct
            enough.
            Sorry my comments are all bad! I think the idea is great, I get cramps
            in my hand just remembering last time I tried writing an extensive
            Quenya text (I get them with latin hands too... try copying the Havamal
            and you'll wish you'll feel like Beren :) ). There are some cursive and
            semicursive tengwar writings by Tolkien, though, the book Pictures by
            J.R.R. Tolkien has various examples (there is a short line at the end of
            the third page of the book of Mazarbul which looks 100% cursive (the
            kind you use when attacked by orcs, lake guardians and Balrogs, if you
            know what I mean!).

            > PS please forgive any misspellings I have not yet got
            > everything memorized.
            It takes a while, give it time :)
            Angasule

            PD: The image really was too big, try saving as a monochrome (1 bit)
            .gif file (.jpg is for photographs, gif is a lot better for texts and
            such), and cutting the edges, that way I reduced the size of your pic to
            merely 42,6kb, 272,4kb less (it was 315 according to my pc, although in
            email images seem to get bloated, never checked much, anyway...).

            PPD: What does it say? :) I can't read but Quenya and Spanish (as used
            by the STE and other Spanish-speaking societies).