A new Tengwar TTF with Dan Smith Keyboad Layout ist almost ready!!

  • eemunsj
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 2, 2002
      Hi people!

      This is my first post in the group. Excuse me if I make mistakes in
      English, since my mother tongue is spanish. I´ve been investing some
      time since April 2002 in developing a new Tengwar font (TTF for PC).
      I wish to thank to Dan Smith for his invaluable advice. I followed
      his suggestion of using the same Keyboard Layout as in Tengwar
      Sidarin.
      The font is now (almost) ready for an evaluation phase. The forms of
      the letters were inspired by the writting of JRR Tolfien in the
      Appendix of LOTR. I hope you like them. I will post the TTF file soon.
      In order you to know how the font looks like, I am posting now an
      image.
      See you!

      EEM

      PS: The name of the font is TENGWAR ELFICA
    • Johan Winge
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 2, 2002
        At 14:41 2002-12-02 -0000, "eemunsj" wrote:

        >The font is now (almost) ready for an evaluation phase. The forms of
        >the letters were inspired by the writting of JRR Tolfien in the
        >Appendix of LOTR. I hope you like them. I will post the TTF file soon.
        >In order you to know how the font looks like, I am posting now an
        >image.

        Overall I like it very much! One of the best I would say - keep up the good
        work!

        I'll give you some of my thoughts on some aspects of the letter shapes in
        your image. Please criticise them everyone - I would like to hear your
        thoughts too.

        Perhaps you should adjust the balance between the two lúvar, (in e.g. ando,
        and (primarily) those where the telco has a serif at the baseline, e.g.
        númen): The spacing between the telco and the "tail" of the first lúva is
        more narrow than the gap between that lúva and the next, making the tengwa
        too heavy at the left (in my opinion of course). I would try to widen the
        first luva by (very carefully) elongating the first part of the stroke, the
        upward, left part where it attaches to the telco. Simply copying the lúvar
        into different positions is not enough I'm afraid - they need individual
        tuning.

        I do not like the bars in the second row. Somewhat straight and boring
        compared to the ones in the fourth row, and, what's more important,
        terminated in an ugly serif. I mean, everywhere else you make them slanted
        at something like, perhaps 20 degrees from the baseline, but here they are
        vertical? Is there some reasoning behind this? My spontaneous thought is
        that it could be done better.

        I notice that you have made the lúva broader when it is single, which is
        good. With that bar in place though, I think parma, formen and vala look
        too "crushed", or stretched perhaps. I think this impression is
        strengthened because of the bar being thinner than the telco. I would be
        interested in seeing a version of this font with a slightly thinner telco
        in all tengwar, although I realise this may mean much work for you.

        In the fourth row, I like the bars better, though its sloping down in the
        middle may make it seem like a heavy weight on the tengwa, making a
        somewhat gloomy appearance. Intentionally perhaps?

        If I were to design a rómen and arda I would make the upper chamber larger,
        perhaps closing it like Danny suggested, and shorten the tail, to make it
        more similar to Tolkien's own rómen/arda in the table.

        In lambe, the top bar looks just a bit too big, i.e. wide, compared to the
        lúva. Furthermore, in both lambe and alda, the bar is started and
        terminated in very sharp points - I would smoothen them. (I would also
        reduce the "wobbling", but this is just my personal taste.)

        I'm very eager to get to see the tehtar and try the font in a longer text.
        It is difficult to get an impression from just the individual letters on
        their own.

        What software are you using, by the way? And what is your name?

        Regards,
        Johan Winge
      • gildir_2
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 3, 2002
          --- In elfscript@y..., "eemunsj" <eemunsj@y...> wrote:
          > Hi people!
          >
          > This is my first post in the group. Excuse me if I make mistakes in
          > English, since my mother tongue is spanish. I´ve been investing
          some
          > time since April 2002 in developing a new Tengwar font (TTF for
          PC).
          > I wish to thank to Dan Smith for his invaluable advice. I followed
          > his suggestion of using the same Keyboard Layout as in Tengwar
          > Sidarin.
          > The font is now (almost) ready for an evaluation phase. The forms
          of
          > the letters were inspired by the writting of JRR Tolfien in the
          > Appendix of LOTR. I hope you like them. I will post the TTF file
          soon.
          > In order you to know how the font looks like, I am posting now an
          > image.

          Show us some tehtar, too, please!

          One VERY difficult thing is to make sure that all
          (sensible) combination of tengwar and tehtar work.
          For example: under-wave should go INSIDE Lambe and
          Rómen. Same for under-dots. My usage guides on the
          Mellonath Daeron web site will give a few examples:

          http://forodrim.letsrock.nu/daeron/md_teng_primers.html

          One aestetic nit: The serifs at the bottom of the
          telcor (staves) look rather un-Tolkien (or rather
          un-calligraphic) to me.

          We look forward to your font with great anticipation!
          Best wishes!

          Gildir, Per Lindberg
        • eemunsj
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 3, 2002
            Hi!

            About the too wide aspect of vala, etc. (Bars in the second row), you
            are right. I am working on it. I discovered that the visual effect is
            due to the fact that the low bar is too high and as a consequence the
            empty space in the middle becomes too flat. About the serif... is not
            ugly but I admit that it is not really nice either. The first attempt
            was already done. Find the new vala.jpg in the files section.
            By the way, my name is Enrique Mombello (pronounced as: enrike
            mombelo) and I come from Argentina.
            See you

            Enrique

          • ktraphagen
            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 3, 2002
              Enrique,

              Great work on the font. Please do tell us more of how you are
              developing them (software, etc.)

              Karyn

              --- In elfscript@y..., "eemunsj" <eemunsj@y...> wrote:
              > Hi!
              >
              > About the too wide aspect of vala, etc. (Bars in the second row),
              you
              > are right. I am working on it. I discovered that the visual effect
              is
              > due to the fact that the low bar is too high and as a consequence
              the
              > empty space in the middle becomes too flat. About the serif... is
              not
              > ugly but I admit that it is not really nice either. The first
              attempt
              > was already done. Find the new vala.jpg in the files section.
              > By the way, my name is Enrique Mombello (pronounced as: enrike
              > mombelo) and I come from Argentina.
              > See you
              >
              > Enrique

            • Johan Winge
              Message 6 of 7 , Dec 3, 2002
                At 19:52 2002-12-03 -0000, Enrique Mombello wrote:

                >About the too wide aspect of vala, etc. (Bars in the second row), you
                >are right. I am working on it. I discovered that the visual effect is
                >due to the fact that the low bar is too high and as a consequence the
                >empty space in the middle becomes too flat. About the serif... is not
                >ugly but I admit that it is not really nice either. The first attempt
                >was already done. Find the new vala.jpg in the files section.

                That one looks much better, I think. It makes a much more open impression.
                Regarding the serif, it is also better than before, (allthough not perfect
                in my opinion). Well, perhaps I should design my own font instead of making
                subjective complaints - it is your font after all. ;-)

                As I said before: Keep up the good work!

                >By the way, my name is Enrique Mombello (pronounced as: enrike
                >mombelo) and I come from Argentina.

                Nice to meet you.

                Regards,
                -- Johan Winge, Sweden
              • eemunsj
                Message 7 of 7 , Dec 4, 2002
                  Thanks Johan,

                  After all, nothing is perfect, and forms is always a matter of taste.
                  I said this is the first attempt, there is now another version, but I
                  will wait a little bit and try new forms for the questioned letters.

                  Regarding the telco, this IS the final version. I have already done a
                  large number of versions and this is the end of the way (at least for
                  Elfica). About the unbalance... I really cannot recognize any
                  unbalance, but I know what you mean, however, it is OK for me.(again:
                  I´ve made too many versions with different positions of the luva in
                  order to obtain the present version)

                  About the top bar of lambe (and perhaps alda too) you are right
                  again. I will correct these.

                  Wait for the next version!

                  Danni:
                  Thanks for your opinion

                  Several versions were done for romen and arda and these are the
                  widest ones. The reason is that Thetar look better over them.
                  Nebertheless, I will see what can I do (I have old versions that are
                  more narrow).

                  About the Thetar, I will post the Dan Smith test file (Word) with the
                  Elfica TTF embedded and you can try whatever you want. But I must
                  correct some things first. I guess next week.