Re: new member saying hello

  • laurifindil
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 2, 2002
      --- In elfscript@y..., "deirdre thompson" <deirdre_bookbindings@y...>
      wrote:
      > Hello I have just joined the group because I need advice : I am a
      > bookbinder and I make leather bound journals, I have recently been
      > working with leather onlaying, thats when a cutout of a diffrent
      > colour leather is droped in to a background leather and pasted down.
      > I did some work the other day with some Rudolf Koch symbols from The
      > Book of Signs and it looks really nice, and I remembered that I
      > really liked the ring inscription script and it would look great on
      > a book cover,

      It may look nice but the meaning of the Ring inscription is far from
      being nice!
      It is a "slavery spell" written with Tengwar (or Elvish Letter/Script)
      but it is in the Balck Specch of Sauron, not in Quenya or Sindarin,
      the tongues of the Elves used in "The Lord of the Rings".

      Ash nazg... etc.

      > the question : I am getting confused between the
      > tengwar and elfish font, whats the correct one for the ring ?
      > Is there a list anywhere of lines of elvish that I can use?

      Internet is certainly NOT the right place to start an investigation
      about what is Elvish or Elvish script.
      I recommend first and foremost a deep look at the explanations Tolkien
      wrote in "The Lord of the Rings, appendix E".

      So, "tengwar" is a High-elvish or Quenya word meaning "letters".