Re: Tengwar Font for Newbies - Evaluation

  • Frances
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 25, 2002
      Hi Dan, Thank you for your response. I am a big fan of your
      work! Although I am a newbie to the group, I am not a newbie to
      Tolkien or to Tengwar-- not by a fair bit. In the mid-late sixties a
      friend of mine and I taught ourselves to use Tengwar to write
      English. Since then, I've forgotten most of what I learned, but
      have managed to retain some of the basic concepts. And now
      that I have now officially entered my second adolescence,
      (prompted in large part by PJ's adaptation of LOTR), I am
      hopting to re-learning to use Tengwar. I particularly like your
      "Tengwar Parmaite (True Type)" and "Tengwar Sindarin 1
      (TrueType)" fonts, but, alas, I am using a Mac! And I've not been
      able to find a Tengwar font for the Mac that pleases me. I'm
      thinking of creating a Mac Tengwar font, but before I embark on
      *that* journey, I wonder if you could point me in the direction of a
      Mac version of your Parmaite or Sindarin font--or of something
      really similar to either. Thanks again for responding to my
      questions! -Frances
    • Dan Smith
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 26, 2002
        On Mon, 25 Nov 2002 21:32:23 <middle_earth_dweller@...>
        wrote:
        >[snip] ... I particularly like your "Tengwar Parmaite (True Type)" ...
        fonts ...

        Thank you for your kind comments, but "Tengwar Parmaite" was created by
        the gifted hands of Måns Björkman.

        >... but, alas, I am using a Mac! And I've not been able to find a
        Tengwar font for the Mac that pleases me. ...

        My hope is that a simpler Tengwar font, with most or its characters
        available on the keyboard, should be able to be easily converted to Mac
        format by shareware tools like:
        "http://home.columbus.rr.com/easychaexp/anytownmain.htm"
        (I've also been told that MacOS/10 can use Windows truetype fonts!)

        >... I wonder if you could point me in the direction of a Mac version of
        your Parmaite or Sindarin font--or of something really similar to
        either.

        Try this: download my evaluation fonts, then try to convert them to Mac
        format, and see if they work. I'd be curious to hear your results.
      • Frances
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 26, 2002
          Hi Dan, Thanks again for your response. I will definately check
          out the translation programs. Mac OSX is out of the question
          right now--hungry art student with inherited Mac... But I'm not
          complaining; I'm having *way* too much fun being 15 again!
          -Frances
        • gildir_2
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 2, 2002
            --- In elfscript@y..., Dan Smith <dansmith@g...> wrote:

            > I've attempted to create some Tengwar fonts (based on my Tengwar
            Sindarin
            > fonts) specifically for these Newbies. I understand that these new
            fonts
            > will not contain the variety of Tengwar letters that my more
            complete
            > Tengwar fonts contain, but they should be perfectly usable for the
            new
            > Tengwar fan who only wants to write their "insert phrase here".
            >
            > Those members of "elfscript" who wish to help me by evaluating
            these fonts,
            > can download the fonts and related PDF documents at:
            >
            > "http://www.geocities.com/fontwizard/eval/index.html"

            Perhaps you should try to devise a keyboard mapping to
            some variant of the Mode fo Beleriand instead. There's
            still the problem of language difference, of course,
            but it might be worth a try to design som kind of
            vanilla-flavoured Mode of Beleriand. Have a look at
            mu guide for Swedish (Beleriand), it might be a good
            start. Then remove stuff like diphthongs etc. See:

            http://forodrim.letsrock.nu/daeron/md_teng_primers.html

            (temp URL until we get forodrim.org back).

            But I must say that I'm doubtful to the whole idea.
            It could very easily lead to widespread and
            hard-to-exterminate misunderstandings. We should
            be careful to avoid that. The "inzert c00L phraze"
            tsunami will hopefully be over in a few years when
            the movie is considered hopelessly uncool.

            Suilaid!
            Gildir, Per Lindberg