Hello!

  • countess12night
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 25, 2002
      Mae govannen! I am a very new student of Tolkien's languages, so I
      hope you will forgive my ineptitude... I was wondering, when writing
      with the Tengwar, there are two signs for the letter "r". One looks
      sort of like an "n", and is used for a "weak or untrilled 'r'", the
      other looks something like a "y" and is used for a "full or trilled
      'r'". But how do you tell which goes where? I have been trying to
      write the poem "Namarie" in Tengwar, but this problem has me totally
      stuck. Please help!
      Thanks,
      Liv.
    • DDanielA@webtv.net
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 25, 2002
        Teithant Liv:
        >when writing with the Tengwar, there are two signs
        >for the letter "r". One looks sort of like an "n", and is
        >used for a "weak or untrilled 'r'", the other looks
        >something like a "y" and is used for a "full or
        >trilled 'r'". But how do you tell which goes where?

        It's really very simple: 'r' before a vowel is a full 'r' and written
        with rómen. 'r' before a consonant or semivowel or at the end of a
        word is a weak 'r' and written with óre.

        >I have been trying to write the poem "Namarie"
        >in Tengwar, but this problem has me totally stuck.

        Tolkien's own Tengwar rendering of 'Namárië' can be found in the
        book 'The Road Goes Ever On'. You may also want to check out Per
        Lindberg's calligraphic illumination on the Amanye Tenceli website:
        http://hem.passagen.se/mansb/at/pl_namarie.jpg . My own rendition of
        'Namárië' is in the calligraphy section of the Gwaith-i-Phethdain
        website and can be seen at http://www.elvish.org/gwaith/andriesb.jpg .
        Warning: there are some tehtar errors in my piece that I still need to
        correct!