Tengwar Font for Newbies - Evaluation

  • Dan Smith
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 24, 2002
      In recent years, many people have discovered the writings of J.R.R. Tolkien
      and have become fascinated with the cultures, languages and alphabets of
      Middle-earth. We understand that learning these things takes time, often
      more time than many people are willing to invest. Since the release of the
      Lord of the Rings movie, I have been besieged with email requesting help on
      how to spell "insert phrase here" in Tengwar. Knowing that these Newbies
      don't know and can't appreciate the subtleties of the various Tengwar modes
      and styles, I often transcribe their "insert phrase here" using a simple
      letter-for-letter English transcription mode.

      I've attempted to create some Tengwar fonts (based on my Tengwar Sindarin
      fonts) specifically for these Newbies. I understand that these new fonts
      will not contain the variety of Tengwar letters that my more complete
      Tengwar fonts contain, but they should be perfectly usable for the new
      Tengwar fan who only wants to write their "insert phrase here".

      Those members of "elfscript" who wish to help me by evaluating these fonts,
      can download the fonts and related PDF documents at:

      "http://www.geocities.com/fontwizard/eval/index.html"

      These fonts are distributed for EVALUATION ONLY with certain restrictions
      listed on the web page and in the font documentation.

      --
      Daniel Steven Smith / fontmaster.geo@...
      Fantasy Fonts for Windows / <><

    • Frances
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 25, 2002
        Hi Dan, Thank you for your response. I am a big fan of your
        work! Although I am a newbie to the group, I am not a newbie to
        Tolkien or to Tengwar-- not by a fair bit. In the mid-late sixties a
        friend of mine and I taught ourselves to use Tengwar to write
        English. Since then, I've forgotten most of what I learned, but
        have managed to retain some of the basic concepts. And now
        that I have now officially entered my second adolescence,
        (prompted in large part by PJ's adaptation of LOTR), I am
        hopting to re-learning to use Tengwar. I particularly like your
        "Tengwar Parmaite (True Type)" and "Tengwar Sindarin 1
        (TrueType)" fonts, but, alas, I am using a Mac! And I've not been
        able to find a Tengwar font for the Mac that pleases me. I'm
        thinking of creating a Mac Tengwar font, but before I embark on
        *that* journey, I wonder if you could point me in the direction of a
        Mac version of your Parmaite or Sindarin font--or of something
        really similar to either. Thanks again for responding to my
        questions! -Frances
      • Dan Smith
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 26, 2002
          On Mon, 25 Nov 2002 21:32:23 <middle_earth_dweller@...>
          wrote:
          >[snip] ... I particularly like your "Tengwar Parmaite (True Type)" ...
          fonts ...

          Thank you for your kind comments, but "Tengwar Parmaite" was created by
          the gifted hands of Måns Björkman.

          >... but, alas, I am using a Mac! And I've not been able to find a
          Tengwar font for the Mac that pleases me. ...

          My hope is that a simpler Tengwar font, with most or its characters
          available on the keyboard, should be able to be easily converted to Mac
          format by shareware tools like:
          "http://home.columbus.rr.com/easychaexp/anytownmain.htm"
          (I've also been told that MacOS/10 can use Windows truetype fonts!)

          >... I wonder if you could point me in the direction of a Mac version of
          your Parmaite or Sindarin font--or of something really similar to
          either.

          Try this: download my evaluation fonts, then try to convert them to Mac
          format, and see if they work. I'd be curious to hear your results.
        • Frances
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 26, 2002
            Hi Dan, Thanks again for your response. I will definately check
            out the translation programs. Mac OSX is out of the question
            right now--hungry art student with inherited Mac... But I'm not
            complaining; I'm having *way* too much fun being 15 again!
            -Frances
          • gildir_2
            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 2, 2002
              --- In elfscript@y..., Dan Smith <dansmith@g...> wrote:

              > I've attempted to create some Tengwar fonts (based on my Tengwar
              Sindarin
              > fonts) specifically for these Newbies. I understand that these new
              fonts
              > will not contain the variety of Tengwar letters that my more
              complete
              > Tengwar fonts contain, but they should be perfectly usable for the
              new
              > Tengwar fan who only wants to write their "insert phrase here".
              >
              > Those members of "elfscript" who wish to help me by evaluating
              these fonts,
              > can download the fonts and related PDF documents at:
              >
              > "http://www.geocities.com/fontwizard/eval/index.html"

              Perhaps you should try to devise a keyboard mapping to
              some variant of the Mode fo Beleriand instead. There's
              still the problem of language difference, of course,
              but it might be worth a try to design som kind of
              vanilla-flavoured Mode of Beleriand. Have a look at
              mu guide for Swedish (Beleriand), it might be a good
              start. Then remove stuff like diphthongs etc. See:

              http://forodrim.letsrock.nu/daeron/md_teng_primers.html

              (temp URL until we get forodrim.org back).

              But I must say that I'm doubtful to the whole idea.
              It could very easily lead to widespread and
              hard-to-exterminate misunderstandings. We should
              be careful to avoid that. The "inzert c00L phraze"
              tsunami will hopefully be over in a few years when
              the movie is considered hopelessly uncool.

              Suilaid!
              Gildir, Per Lindberg