Re: [elfling] Newbie

  • DDanielA@webtv.net
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 23, 2002
      Teithant Frances:
      >So my question is: which font(s) do folks here
      >prefer, and why?

      I don't (can't) use the available Tengwar fonts; I rely on calligraphy.
      I am, however, familiar with the fonts out there and can offer my own
      opinions. There are at least two that should be avoided: Tengwar Gandalf
      and Lothlorien. The characters of Tengwar Gandalf are just badly done
      (I can't get past the backwards lambe!), and those of Lothlorien are
      sloppy ... of varying height and angle.
      Now for the good fonts. If you want a good representation of Formal Book
      Hand (the style Tolkien most frequently used), there are three good
      choices: Måns Björkman's Tengwar Parmaite, Dan Smith's Tengwar
      Sindarin, and for those who use TeX, Julian Bradfield has a nice
      Metafont Tengwar font. Mike Urban has a Metafont as well, basically
      formal book hand with rather quirky tehtar ... not bad. If you want
      something more decorative, Dan Smith's Tengwar Noldor is an attractive
      pointed style font. Moroma (forgive me ... I can't remember who designed
      it) is another interesting calligraphic style. Harri Perälä's
      Tengwar Cursive is based on the flowing script of the One Ring's
      inscription and is quite eye-catching. For simplicity and clarity, it's
      hard to beat Dan Smith's Tengwar Quenya. Ivan Derzhanski has designed a
      couple of Metafont sets that show what the Tengwar might have become in
      modern times had they kept evolving: Tengwar with Roman-style straight
      stems, serifs and kerns ... uh, different! So it depends on what you're
      looking for. If you want something like the Tengwar used in the English
      modes of the Title Page Inscription and of the King's Letter, I would
      recommend either Tengwar Parmaite or Tengwar Sindarin.

      Cuio mae, Danny.
    • Frances
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 23, 2002
        Hi Danny, Thanks for the detailed and comprehensive info on
        Tengwar fonts. I agree with you as to apearances. Sadly I don't
        really like *any* of the fonts available for the Mac.... Of the
        choices available I found Harri Perälä's Tengwar Cursive to be
        the one I liked most. But although it's a pretty script, I am looking
        for something more readable. Guess I'm just going to have to
        get a calligraphy pen until I can create my own. I particularly like
        the font that urdsama777 used for her two samples in the Files
        section--though there are *some* changes I would make... (I'd
        like a slightly more cursive style with slightly more slender
        strokes....) Hmmm, wonder if I still have that font-creation
        program from many years ago--and if so if it will run on my
        current Mac... Urdsama777 (or any one else who knows), could
        you let me know what font you use and where to get it? Thanks!
        -Frances