Re: [elfscript] wondering if anyone can help?

  • Harri Perälä
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 15, 2002
      Gildor Inglorion wrote:

      > teithant malice_legion

      > > I know I have seen this poem on a ring for sale on
      > > ebay once, so i
      > > know it has to be out there in it's correct form.

      By searching the Web for "and forever to entwine us", you can find
      several sites that are selling an "Elvish Love Ring" or pedant with this
      text, such as <http://ancientmemories.com/am/elfring.htm>. However, I
      would not recommend using these as a model (or buying them, for that
      matter :).

      Based on the photo of the pedant, it looks like the English text has
      been transcribed using the Quenya mode of TengScribe or one the
      compatible transcribers: _nd_ is written with ando, _b_ without a
      preceding nasal has disappeared and so on. Some random typos seem to
      have been introduced at some point, since "to bind" has become "ndoind"
      instead of the expected misspelling "toind".

      > i don't think so... i think that someone else have
      > ordered a translation/transcription of such a verse
      > before

      So it seems: in Elfscript message 829. A Sindarin translation appears in
      851, with a suggested correction and a good point about the whole thing
      in 852. I can't find a tengwar transcription.

      > > http://www.clearhat.com/malice/tengwar.html
      > no.. it seems that you havent's understood the way the
      > tengwar fonts work: the tengwar don't correspond to
      > the appropriate keys fof the keyboard,

      Strangely, parts of the text indicate that whoever did the image has an
      understanding of the key mapping, it's just that the "extended" grade
      has been used for *all* consonants. The beginning could, I guess, be
      read as "mini quoma tani milmilva..." in the Quenya mode. Most of it
      makes less sense, though.

      To Lady Malice: does the text have to be in Quenya? I can't comment on
      the Quenya or Sindarin translations, but writing the English text in
      tengwar would seem like a simple solution. Anyway, writing the text in
      any of these languages using tengwar should not be too difficult. I'm
      sure list members can help you when you have decided on the final text
      to write.

      --
      Harri Perälä perala@... http://www.sci.fi/%7ealboin/
    • NewMoonOccultShop.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 15, 2002
        >> i don't think so... i think that someone else have
        >> ordered a translation/transcription of such a verse
        >> before
        >
        >So it seems: in Elfscript message 829. A Sindarin translation appears in
        >851, with a suggested correction and a good point about the whole thing
        >in 852. I can't find a tengwar transcription.

        http://www.newmoon.uk.com/lotr/ElvishBangleforemail.jpg

        If you are doing this as a one-off, use the image above to see the writing
        close up for the "Elvish Love Ring". This is a new product they are
        creating for the Christmas market, this bangle.

        I don't know if this translation matches as I am still learning (thus my
        silence on this list) however I hope to one day be able to read the script
        and see what it actually says.

        Judith Lewis of http://www.NewMoon.uk.com/
        Gods & Goddesses http://www.newmoonoccultshop.com/ritual/statues.htm
        Ritual Rools http://www.NewMoonOccultShop.com/ritual/