Re: [elfscript] wondering if anyone can help?

    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 15, 2002
      teithant malice_legion

      > I got an order to make a custom ring box with the
      > following poem
      > burned onto it in tengwar cursive:
      > > "One ring to show our love,
      > > One ring to bind us,
      > > One ring to seal our love
      > > And forever to entwine us."
      >
      > I know I have seen this poem on a ring for sale on
      > ebay once, so i
      > know it has to be out there in it's correct form.

      i don't think so... i think that someone else have
      ordered a translation/transcription of such a verse
      before

      > He sent me a near complete traslation which reads
      > (minus the 2 words
      > he couldnt figure out):

      it's more or less correct.. unfortunately i can't help
      you with the missing words

      > And at this link is the finished looking script,
      > again missing those
      > two words, so i am told:
      > http://www.clearhat.com/malice/tengwar.html

      no.. it seems that you havent's understood the way the
      tengwar fonts work: the tengwar don't correspond to
      the appropriate keys fof the keyboard, but they are
      placed according to their alphabetical row... (eg the
      first column keys z, a, q, 1 correspond to the tengwar
      qu, c, p and t)

      please consult
      http://www.sci.fi/%7ealboin/tengwartutorial.htm for a
      useful help

      > I had started to learn the basics of reading the
      > language (using the
      > English characters),

      you mean the Latin ones :)

    • Harri Perälä
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 15, 2002
        Gildor Inglorion wrote:

        > teithant malice_legion

        > > I know I have seen this poem on a ring for sale on
        > > ebay once, so i
        > > know it has to be out there in it's correct form.

        By searching the Web for "and forever to entwine us", you can find
        several sites that are selling an "Elvish Love Ring" or pedant with this
        text, such as <http://ancientmemories.com/am/elfring.htm>. However, I
        would not recommend using these as a model (or buying them, for that
        matter :).

        Based on the photo of the pedant, it looks like the English text has
        been transcribed using the Quenya mode of TengScribe or one the
        compatible transcribers: _nd_ is written with ando, _b_ without a
        preceding nasal has disappeared and so on. Some random typos seem to
        have been introduced at some point, since "to bind" has become "ndoind"
        instead of the expected misspelling "toind".

        > i don't think so... i think that someone else have
        > ordered a translation/transcription of such a verse
        > before

        So it seems: in Elfscript message 829. A Sindarin translation appears in
        851, with a suggested correction and a good point about the whole thing
        in 852. I can't find a tengwar transcription.

        > > http://www.clearhat.com/malice/tengwar.html
        > no.. it seems that you havent's understood the way the
        > tengwar fonts work: the tengwar don't correspond to
        > the appropriate keys fof the keyboard,

        Strangely, parts of the text indicate that whoever did the image has an
        understanding of the key mapping, it's just that the "extended" grade
        has been used for *all* consonants. The beginning could, I guess, be
        read as "mini quoma tani milmilva..." in the Quenya mode. Most of it
        makes less sense, though.

        To Lady Malice: does the text have to be in Quenya? I can't comment on
        the Quenya or Sindarin translations, but writing the English text in
        tengwar would seem like a simple solution. Anyway, writing the text in
        any of these languages using tengwar should not be too difficult. I'm
        sure list members can help you when you have decided on the final text
        to write.

        --
        Harri Perälä perala@... http://www.sci.fi/%7ealboin/
      • NewMoonOccultShop.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 15, 2002
          >> i don't think so... i think that someone else have
          >> ordered a translation/transcription of such a verse
          >> before
          >
          >So it seems: in Elfscript message 829. A Sindarin translation appears in
          >851, with a suggested correction and a good point about the whole thing
          >in 852. I can't find a tengwar transcription.

          http://www.newmoon.uk.com/lotr/ElvishBangleforemail.jpg

          If you are doing this as a one-off, use the image above to see the writing
          close up for the "Elvish Love Ring". This is a new product they are
          creating for the Christmas market, this bangle.

          I don't know if this translation matches as I am still learning (thus my
          silence on this list) however I hope to one day be able to read the script
          and see what it actually says.

          Judith Lewis of http://www.NewMoon.uk.com/
          Gods & Goddesses http://www.newmoonoccultshop.com/ritual/statues.htm
          Ritual Rools http://www.NewMoonOccultShop.com/ritual/