wondering if anyone can help?

  • malice_legion
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 13, 2002
      hello, sorry to butt in on your group here but i'm at my wits end
      with this and was hoping someone here might be able to help.

      I got an order to make a custom ring box with the following poem
      burned onto it in tengwar cursive:
      > "One ring to show our love,
      > One ring to bind us,
      > One ring to seal our love
      > And forever to entwine us."

      I know I have seen this poem on a ring for sale on ebay once, so i
      know it has to be out there in it's correct form.

      He sent me a near complete traslation which reads (minus the 2 words
      he couldnt figure out):
      >>> Minë Corma tanië melmelwa,
      >>> Minë Corma nutielw,
      >>> Minë Corma (to seal?) melmelwa,
      >>> Ar oialë (to entwine?)lwë "

      And at this link is the finished looking script, again missing those
      two words, so i am told: http://www.clearhat.com/malice/tengwar.html

      I had started to learn the basics of reading the language (using the
      English characters), but am no where near far enough along to know
      how to get the translation and visual to be correct. So i am
      basically clueless here. If anyone could give me ANY advice at all
      on this matter (does the cursive appear correct?, is the translation
      even correct??), so I can get this box done, I would greatly
      appreciate it!
      Bright Blessings
      ~Lady Malice
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 15, 2002
        teithant malice_legion

        > I got an order to make a custom ring box with the
        > following poem
        > burned onto it in tengwar cursive:
        > > "One ring to show our love,
        > > One ring to bind us,
        > > One ring to seal our love
        > > And forever to entwine us."
        >
        > I know I have seen this poem on a ring for sale on
        > ebay once, so i
        > know it has to be out there in it's correct form.

        i don't think so... i think that someone else have
        ordered a translation/transcription of such a verse
        before

        > He sent me a near complete traslation which reads
        > (minus the 2 words
        > he couldnt figure out):

        it's more or less correct.. unfortunately i can't help
        you with the missing words

        > And at this link is the finished looking script,
        > again missing those
        > two words, so i am told:
        > http://www.clearhat.com/malice/tengwar.html

        no.. it seems that you havent's understood the way the
        tengwar fonts work: the tengwar don't correspond to
        the appropriate keys fof the keyboard, but they are
        placed according to their alphabetical row... (eg the
        first column keys z, a, q, 1 correspond to the tengwar
        qu, c, p and t)

        please consult
        http://www.sci.fi/%7ealboin/tengwartutorial.htm for a
        useful help

        > I had started to learn the basics of reading the
        > language (using the
        > English characters),

        you mean the Latin ones :)

      • Harri Perälä
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 15, 2002
          Gildor Inglorion wrote:

          > teithant malice_legion

          > > I know I have seen this poem on a ring for sale on
          > > ebay once, so i
          > > know it has to be out there in it's correct form.

          By searching the Web for "and forever to entwine us", you can find
          several sites that are selling an "Elvish Love Ring" or pedant with this
          text, such as <http://ancientmemories.com/am/elfring.htm>. However, I
          would not recommend using these as a model (or buying them, for that
          matter :).

          Based on the photo of the pedant, it looks like the English text has
          been transcribed using the Quenya mode of TengScribe or one the
          compatible transcribers: _nd_ is written with ando, _b_ without a
          preceding nasal has disappeared and so on. Some random typos seem to
          have been introduced at some point, since "to bind" has become "ndoind"
          instead of the expected misspelling "toind".

          > i don't think so... i think that someone else have
          > ordered a translation/transcription of such a verse
          > before

          So it seems: in Elfscript message 829. A Sindarin translation appears in
          851, with a suggested correction and a good point about the whole thing
          in 852. I can't find a tengwar transcription.

          > > http://www.clearhat.com/malice/tengwar.html
          > no.. it seems that you havent's understood the way the
          > tengwar fonts work: the tengwar don't correspond to
          > the appropriate keys fof the keyboard,

          Strangely, parts of the text indicate that whoever did the image has an
          understanding of the key mapping, it's just that the "extended" grade
          has been used for *all* consonants. The beginning could, I guess, be
          read as "mini quoma tani milmilva..." in the Quenya mode. Most of it
          makes less sense, though.

          To Lady Malice: does the text have to be in Quenya? I can't comment on
          the Quenya or Sindarin translations, but writing the English text in
          tengwar would seem like a simple solution. Anyway, writing the text in
          any of these languages using tengwar should not be too difficult. I'm
          sure list members can help you when you have decided on the final text
          to write.

          --
          Harri Perälä perala@... http://www.sci.fi/%7ealboin/
        • NewMoonOccultShop.com
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 15, 2002
            >> i don't think so... i think that someone else have
            >> ordered a translation/transcription of such a verse
            >> before
            >
            >So it seems: in Elfscript message 829. A Sindarin translation appears in
            >851, with a suggested correction and a good point about the whole thing
            >in 852. I can't find a tengwar transcription.

            http://www.newmoon.uk.com/lotr/ElvishBangleforemail.jpg

            If you are doing this as a one-off, use the image above to see the writing
            close up for the "Elvish Love Ring". This is a new product they are
            creating for the Christmas market, this bangle.

            I don't know if this translation matches as I am still learning (thus my
            silence on this list) however I hope to one day be able to read the script
            and see what it actually says.

            Judith Lewis of http://www.NewMoon.uk.com/
            Gods & Goddesses http://www.newmoonoccultshop.com/ritual/statues.htm
            Ritual Rools http://www.NewMoonOccultShop.com/ritual/