Northern Mode for Westron (was : Mode of Dale)

  • Edward J. Kloczko
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 12, 2001
      Mans Bjorkman a écrit:

      > Edward J. Kloczko wrote:
      > >
      > > Mans Bjorkman a écrit:
      > >
      > > [...]
      > >
      > > > I'd rather guess <esse> and <e. nq.> are used for /z/, since this is how
      > > > they are used by the proverbial "man of Gondor".
      > >
      > > It is not as simple as that. Alda is used for _ll_ (l:) in the "Northern
      > > mode", but for hl (lh) in the "mode of Gondor"......
      >
      > Perhaps so, perhaps <alda> is used for *both* _ll_ and _hl_ in the
      > Westron modes -- about this we can only speculate. However, since
      > Westron evidently needed a sign for voiced /z/, and since long /s:/
      > could be indicated by other means, I'd say _z_ is still the most likely
      > value for <esse>.

      I have scrutinise the page of Mazarbul. Apparently the last word of the line
      14th is _is_ and is written with an esse, that is phonetically _iz_ (could
      hardly be _iss_). The Dwarves were not a very orthographic people. A Dwarf
      wrote "gard" for "guard" (see "Of Dwarves and men" in PMe).
      No offence intended to any Dwarf on the list! ;-)

      Namárie

      EJK