Re: westron

  • laurifindil
    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 7, 2002
      --- In elfscript@y..., "xeeniseit" <xeeniseit@y...> wrote:
      > Is there any place out there in the web where I can get informations
      > about variants between different Westron modes? (I'm afraid all the
      > libraries I have access to don't possess the books about this.)

      Do you mean "Westron mode_s_" to write Sôval Phâre as seen in the
      covers of LOTR or in the Book of Mazarbûl or the modes to write
      English with tengwar?

      If you read French and want a book you can get these modes in my
      recent book :

      "Dictionnaire des langues des Hobbits, des Nains, des Orques"
      see http://www.xs4all.nl/~rossnbrg/worksont.htm
    • xeeniseit
      Message 2 of 11 , Nov 18, 2002
        Is there any attested example of a mode which has the vowel
        tehtar placed on the preceding tengwar AND uses the bar to
        represent nasals? I suppose there isn't, but I better ask others
        than supposing anything.
        suilaid, xeeniseit
      • DDanielA@webtv.net
        Message 3 of 11 , Nov 18, 2002
          Teithant xeeniseit:
          >Is there any attested example of a mode which has
          >the vowel tehtar placed on the preceding tengwar
          >AND uses the bar to represent nasals? I suppose there
          >isn't, but I better ask others than supposing
          >anything.

          Actually there might be. There is no attested example of the nasal bar
          itself, but there is a poorly attested Sindarin mode where the
          ómatehtar are placed on the preceding tengwar and where the bar would
          probably be used to represent nasalisation. In "Artist and Illustrator"
          we see Tolkien's tengwar rendering of _Lúthien Tinúviel_ in this
          mode, and in the 'Sotheby Letter' we see _Imladrist_ (sic) in this mode.
          In _Tinúviel_ ampa represents 'v' and in _Imladrist_ ando represents
          'd', so we must assume that nasalised stops are not written with grades
          2 and 4 as in Quenya. It is logical to assume that the nasal bar would
          be used as in the other known Sindarin tengwar modes.

          Cuio mae, Danny.
        • Erestel
          Message 4 of 11 , Nov 19, 2002
            > Teithant xeeniseit:
            > >Is there any attested example of a mode which has
            > >the vowel tehtar placed on the preceding tengwar
            > >AND uses the bar to represent nasals? I suppose there
            > >isn't, but I better ask others than supposing
            > >anything.

            And what about the quenya sentence 'Menelluin Irildeo Ondolindello'
            [A&I n°189] ?

            Jérôme
          • xeeniseit
            Message 5 of 11 , Dec 2, 2002
              Danny teithant:

              > Teithant xeeniseit:
              > >Is there any attested example of a mode which has
              > >the vowel tehtar placed on the preceding tengwar
              > >AND uses the bar to represent nasals? I suppose there
              > >isn't, but I better ask others than supposing
              > >anything.
              >
              > Actually there might be. There is no attested example of the nasal
              > bar itself, but there is a poorly attested Sindarin mode where the
              > ómatehtar are placed on the preceding tengwar and where the bar would
              > probably be used to represent nasalisation. In "Artist and
              > Illustrator" we see Tolkien's tengwar rendering of _Lúthien Tinúviel_
              > in this mode, and in the 'Sotheby Letter' we see _Imladrist_ (sic) in
              > this mode. In _Tinúviel_ ampa represents 'v' and in _Imladrist_ ando
              > represents 'd', so we must assume that nasalised stops are not
              > written with grades 2 and 4 as in Quenya. It is logical to assume
              > that the nasal bar would be used as in the other known Sindarin
              > tengwar modes.

              Most probably yes. This means that there can be modes where the tengwa-
              tehtar order depends on the tehtar you have. If it's a nasal bar, the
              reading order is tehta-tengwa, but if it's a vowel techta, the reading
              order is tengwa-tehta, and if it's even both, the reading order is
              techta1-tengwa-tehta2 - awfully difficult!

              Is there no possibility to save Tolkien from being the autor of so much
              confusion? I see several ways for doing so:

              1) We can suppose Tolkien'd never have used a nasal bar in a mode which
              places the vowel techtar on the preceding tengwa. But what about the
              example Erestel referred?

              > And what about the quenya sentence 'Menelluin Irildeo Ondolindello'
              > [A&I n°189] ?

              I don't know it. But it seems to kill this supposition (if it's a
              oomatehtar Quenya mode which makes use of the nasal bar).

              2) All human make errors. Tolkien was a human. --> Attested examples of
              modes with changing tengwar-tehtar-order are erroneous.

              3) The nasal bar doesn't come before or after the tengwa it's placed
              above, but attributes the global property of "nasality" to the
              consonant represented by that tengwa (analogous to the underbar, which
              doesn't come after or before the tengwa, but indicates a longer
              duration of the sound assigned to that tengwa).

              4) Who said there was any logic or structure or order or similar
              unnecessary stuff in the tengwar? There's no bad thing about causing
              confusion.

              Anyway, the oomatechtar modes Tolkien used most of the time have a
              constant tengwar-tehtar order. So I suggest we'd claim that modes with
              variable tengwar-tehtar order (i.e. a mode with the vowel techtar on
              the preceding tengwa AND the nasal bar) should be avoided.

              suilaid
              xeeniseit
            • laurifindil
              Message 6 of 11 , Dec 2, 2002
                --- In elfscript@y..., "xeeniseit" <xeeniseit@y...> wrote:

                <snip>

                > Anyway, the oomatechtar modes Tolkien used most of the time have a
                > constant tengwar-tehtar order. So I suggest we'd claim that modes with
                > variable tengwar-tehtar order (i.e. a mode with the vowel techtar on
                > the preceding tengwa AND the nasal bar) should be avoided.

                Nothing needed be avoided... :-)

                I suggest we study what Tolkien wrote in tengwar, and he wrote A LOT.
                ;-)