westron

  • xeeniseit
    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 7, 2002
      Is there any place out there in the web where I can get informations
      about variants between different Westron modes? (I'm afraid all the
      libraries I have access to don't possess the books about this.)

      suilaid, xeeniseit
      Message 2 of 11 , Nov 7, 2002
        teithant xeeniseit

        > Is there any place out there in the web where I can
        > get informations
        > about variants between different Westron modes? (I'm
        > afraid all the
        > libraries I have access to don't possess the books
        > about this.)

        no, there isn't information on any published book i
        think :) the known information is published in
        magazines like VT, TT and PE

        you can extrapolate knowledge from the english tengwar
        spelling and the english tengwar version of the King's
        letter (it's a full mode, like the Mode of Beleriand,
        and it's known as the northern variant)

        alo, try to look at my History of Elvish Writing in
        gwaith-i-phethdain (an old version unfortunately) for
        an analysis of them

      • laurifindil
        Message 3 of 11 , Nov 7, 2002
          --- In elfscript@y..., "xeeniseit" <xeeniseit@y...> wrote:
          > Is there any place out there in the web where I can get informations
          > about variants between different Westron modes? (I'm afraid all the
          > libraries I have access to don't possess the books about this.)

          Do you mean "Westron mode_s_" to write Sôval Phâre as seen in the
          covers of LOTR or in the Book of Mazarbûl or the modes to write
          English with tengwar?

          If you read French and want a book you can get these modes in my
          recent book :

          "Dictionnaire des langues des Hobbits, des Nains, des Orques"
          see http://www.xs4all.nl/~rossnbrg/worksont.htm
        • xeeniseit
          Message 4 of 11 , Nov 18, 2002
            Is there any attested example of a mode which has the vowel
            tehtar placed on the preceding tengwar AND uses the bar to
            represent nasals? I suppose there isn't, but I better ask others
            than supposing anything.
            suilaid, xeeniseit
          • DDanielA@webtv.net
            Message 5 of 11 , Nov 18, 2002
              Teithant xeeniseit:
              >Is there any attested example of a mode which has
              >the vowel tehtar placed on the preceding tengwar
              >AND uses the bar to represent nasals? I suppose there
              >isn't, but I better ask others than supposing
              >anything.

              Actually there might be. There is no attested example of the nasal bar
              itself, but there is a poorly attested Sindarin mode where the
              ómatehtar are placed on the preceding tengwar and where the bar would
              probably be used to represent nasalisation. In "Artist and Illustrator"
              we see Tolkien's tengwar rendering of _Lúthien Tinúviel_ in this
              mode, and in the 'Sotheby Letter' we see _Imladrist_ (sic) in this mode.
              In _Tinúviel_ ampa represents 'v' and in _Imladrist_ ando represents
              'd', so we must assume that nasalised stops are not written with grades
              2 and 4 as in Quenya. It is logical to assume that the nasal bar would
              be used as in the other known Sindarin tengwar modes.

              Cuio mae, Danny.
            • Erestel
              Message 6 of 11 , Nov 19, 2002
                > Teithant xeeniseit:
                > >Is there any attested example of a mode which has
                > >the vowel tehtar placed on the preceding tengwar
                > >AND uses the bar to represent nasals? I suppose there
                > >isn't, but I better ask others than supposing
                > >anything.

                And what about the quenya sentence 'Menelluin Irildeo Ondolindello'
                [A&I n°189] ?

                Jérôme
              • xeeniseit
                Message 7 of 11 , Dec 2, 2002
                  Danny teithant:

                  > Teithant xeeniseit:
                  > >Is there any attested example of a mode which has
                  > >the vowel tehtar placed on the preceding tengwar
                  > >AND uses the bar to represent nasals? I suppose there
                  > >isn't, but I better ask others than supposing
                  > >anything.
                  >
                  > Actually there might be. There is no attested example of the nasal
                  > bar itself, but there is a poorly attested Sindarin mode where the
                  > ómatehtar are placed on the preceding tengwar and where the bar would
                  > probably be used to represent nasalisation. In "Artist and
                  > Illustrator" we see Tolkien's tengwar rendering of _Lúthien Tinúviel_
                  > in this mode, and in the 'Sotheby Letter' we see _Imladrist_ (sic) in
                  > this mode. In _Tinúviel_ ampa represents 'v' and in _Imladrist_ ando
                  > represents 'd', so we must assume that nasalised stops are not
                  > written with grades 2 and 4 as in Quenya. It is logical to assume
                  > that the nasal bar would be used as in the other known Sindarin
                  > tengwar modes.

                  Most probably yes. This means that there can be modes where the tengwa-
                  tehtar order depends on the tehtar you have. If it's a nasal bar, the
                  reading order is tehta-tengwa, but if it's a vowel techta, the reading
                  order is tengwa-tehta, and if it's even both, the reading order is
                  techta1-tengwa-tehta2 - awfully difficult!

                  Is there no possibility to save Tolkien from being the autor of so much
                  confusion? I see several ways for doing so:

                  1) We can suppose Tolkien'd never have used a nasal bar in a mode which
                  places the vowel techtar on the preceding tengwa. But what about the
                  example Erestel referred?

                  > And what about the quenya sentence 'Menelluin Irildeo Ondolindello'
                  > [A&I n°189] ?

                  I don't know it. But it seems to kill this supposition (if it's a
                  oomatehtar Quenya mode which makes use of the nasal bar).

                  2) All human make errors. Tolkien was a human. --> Attested examples of
                  modes with changing tengwar-tehtar-order are erroneous.

                  3) The nasal bar doesn't come before or after the tengwa it's placed
                  above, but attributes the global property of "nasality" to the
                  consonant represented by that tengwa (analogous to the underbar, which
                  doesn't come after or before the tengwa, but indicates a longer
                  duration of the sound assigned to that tengwa).

                  4) Who said there was any logic or structure or order or similar
                  unnecessary stuff in the tengwar? There's no bad thing about causing
                  confusion.

                  Anyway, the oomatechtar modes Tolkien used most of the time have a
                  constant tengwar-tehtar order. So I suggest we'd claim that modes with
                  variable tengwar-tehtar order (i.e. a mode with the vowel techtar on
                  the preceding tengwa AND the nasal bar) should be avoided.

                  suilaid
                  xeeniseit
                • laurifindil
                  Message 8 of 11 , Dec 2, 2002
                    --- In elfscript@y..., "xeeniseit" <xeeniseit@y...> wrote:

                    <snip>

                    > Anyway, the oomatechtar modes Tolkien used most of the time have a
                    > constant tengwar-tehtar order. So I suggest we'd claim that modes with
                    > variable tengwar-tehtar order (i.e. a mode with the vowel techtar on
                    > the preceding tengwa AND the nasal bar) should be avoided.

                    Nothing needed be avoided... :-)

                    I suggest we study what Tolkien wrote in tengwar, and he wrote A LOT.
                    ;-)