Re: [elfscript] Mode of Dale

  • Mans Bjorkman
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 11, 2001
      Edward J. Kloczko wrote:

      > Mans Bjorkman a écrit:
      >
      > [...]
      >
      > > I'd rather guess <esse> and <e. nq.> are used for /z/, since this is how
      > > they are used by the proverbial "man of Gondor".
      >
      > It is not as simple as that. Alda is used for _ll_ (l:) in the "Northern
      > mode", but for hl (lh) in the "mode of Gondor"......

      Perhaps so, perhaps <alda> is used for *both* _ll_ and _hl_ in the
      Westron modes -- about this we can only speculate. However, since
      Westron evidently needed a sign for voiced /z/, and since long /s:/
      could be indicated by other means, I'd say _z_ is still the most likely
      value for <esse>.

      Yrs,
      Måns

      --