oore in Northern Westron

  • xeeniseit
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 26, 2002
      Hi
      In "An Introduction to Elvish" by Jim Allan I read about a mode
      identified (by Chrisopher Tolkien) as a Northern variant of the Westron
      mode. It's only very few words, but there's one very interesting
      feature: the word accursed written without any sign for u, but with a
      long oore (oore and an acute accent on it). How can we explain this,
      being afaik JRRT's own English modes close to traditional English
      spelling (and after all in vowel spelling)? Is there any other evidence
      for oore as a vowel?
      suilaid, xeeniseit