Re: [elfscript] Mode of Dale

  • Mans Bjorkman
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 10, 2001
      Edward J. Kloczko wrote:

      > I have been trying to reconstruct the "Mode of Dale" explicitated
      > in the page nº ii of the Book of Mazarbul.
      >
      > [...]
      >
      > Any though would be welcome!
      >
      > EJK

      I don't see why this mode should make use of ómatehtar, as you suggest
      at the bottom of the table.

      I'd rather guess <esse> and <e. nq.> are used for /z/, since this is how
      they are used by the proverbial "man of Gondor".

      Rather than a "Mode of Dale", I'd say the mode is what CJRT names it:
      the "Westron convention, in its northen variety". That the mode was
      known far and wide outside of Dale is demonstrated by the fact that the
      same mode, essentially, is used in the King's Letter. The only
      significant difference that I've noted is that <rómen> there represents
      prevocalic /r/ and <úre> represents /w/. Note also <alda> for long /l:/,
      which is found in these two specimen only.

      A better candidate for a "Mode of Dale" I think is represented on the
      jar in the drawing "Conversation with Smaug". This is apparently also a
      variant of the same mode, with the only explicit difference that <úre>
      is used for /o/. It is not surprising that slight differences emerged in
      a mode known all the way from the Shire in the west to Erebor in the
      east.

      Regards,
      Måns

      --
      Måns Björkman "Mun þu mik!
      Störtloppsvägen 8, III Man þik.
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 11, 2001
        Mans Bjorkman a écrit:

        > Edward J. Kloczko wrote:
        > >
        > > I have been trying to reconstruct the "Mode of Dale" explicitated
        > > in the page nº ii of the Book of Mazarbul.
        > >
        > > [...]
        > >
        > > Any though would be welcome!
        > >
        > > EJK
        >
        > I don't see why this mode should make use of ómatehtar, as you suggest
        > at the bottom of the table.

        Your right. I should have deleted all those, except the i and j. My mistake.

        > I'd rather guess <esse> and <e. nq.> are used for /z/, since this is how
        > they are used by the proverbial "man of Gondor".

        It is not as simple as that. Alda is used for _ll_ (l:) in the "Northern
        mode", but for hl (lh) in the "mode of Gondor"......

        > Rather than a "Mode of Dale", I'd say the mode is what CJRT names it:
        > the "Westron convention, in its northen variety".

        I thought (wronly, I guess now) that _northen_ meant "Dale", e.g. north of
        Gondor. I associated Dwarves with Dale and Erebor. Now I beleive just
        as you say. C. Tolkien meant _Northen part of the Kingdom_, e.g. Eriador. This would
        explain why Arganron used it in his letter to Sam. It is in that "Northern
        Mode" that the Hobbit wrote their Sôval Phâre.

        <snip>

        > A better candidate for a "Mode of Dale" I think is represented on the
        > jar in the drawing "Conversation with Smaug". This is apparently also a
        > variant of the same mode, with the only explicit difference that <úre>
        > is used for /o/. It is not surprising that slight differences emerged in
        > a mode known all the way from the Shire in the west to Erebor in the
        > east.

        I agree.

        Namárie

        EJK
      • Mans Bjorkman
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 11, 2001
          Edward J. Kloczko wrote:

          > Mans Bjorkman a écrit:
          >
          > [...]
          >
          > > I'd rather guess <esse> and <e. nq.> are used for /z/, since this is how
          > > they are used by the proverbial "man of Gondor".
          >
          > It is not as simple as that. Alda is used for _ll_ (l:) in the "Northern
          > mode", but for hl (lh) in the "mode of Gondor"......

          Perhaps so, perhaps <alda> is used for *both* _ll_ and _hl_ in the
          Westron modes -- about this we can only speculate. However, since
          Westron evidently needed a sign for voiced /z/, and since long /s:/
          could be indicated by other means, I'd say _z_ is still the most likely
          value for <esse>.

          Yrs,
          Måns