Re: noldo and anna

  • laurifindil
    Message 1 of 33 , Oct 16, 2002
      --- In elfscript@y..., DDanielA@w... wrote:
      > Teithant Edouard Kloczko:
      > >But I never read that English had a phonological
      > >distinction between a "long ñ" and a "short ñ".
      > >Could you tell us more about these phonological
      > >description, where did you read that the word _sing_
      > >has a "short ñ". Thanks.
      >
      > English is not rich in long consonants; in fact, our long consonants are
      > rare. But they do exist (e.g. 'penknife', 'bookkeeper'), and in these
      > instances they are represented by doubled symbols in IPA transcription.
      > I didn't really need to 'read' it anywhere as I can hear the distinction
      > myself, but I looked it up in seven English dictionaries that employ IPA
      > for their phonetic respellings. In all seven, the long consonants in the
      > above examples were spelt with '-nn-' and '-kk-',

      As far as I understand English Language, these two sounds are not
      "long" phonologically but are _double consonant_, because these two
      words are compound-words : e.g. made of two words which happens for
      the first to end in the same sound as the second begins.

      >but the symbol for the
      > 'ñ' in 'sing' was single. (The IPA symbol that looks like 'n' with the
      > descender of 'j' on its right leg.) In the explanations of the
      > pronunciation key in three of the dictionaries it was expressly stated
      > that consonants are pronounced short unless represented by doubled IPA
      > symbols.

      So we do agree that there is no "long" ñ in English then? ;-)
    • xeeniseit
      Message 33 of 33 , Oct 19, 2002
        Are there any other persons who have designed their own tengwar mode so
        that every tengwar bears a tehtar? For esthetical reasons of personal
        taste, I've done so, and I'd like to change out opinions about problems
        coming up with such a mode.
        suilaid, alf