Re: [elfscript] Re: vala or vilya

  • DDanielA@webtv.net
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 7, 2002
      Teithant Alf:
      >Checking out the existing material we can come
      >up with reasonable suppositions.

      Yet you've thrown away úre in Sindarin modes despite it being attested
      in the existing material!

      >You've written "most are of the opinion that vala
      >is used". That's a good supposition because it
      >fits in the parmateema and because it's as in the
      >Quenya mode.

      Well, no ... it's not as it is in the Quenya mode. In the Quenya mode,
      vala = v, not w.

      >There's no need for uure in any Sindarin mode, even
      >though it IS needed in the Quenya mode. Of course it
      >might turn out to be used nontheless, but as long
      >as this hasn't happend,

      Hasn't happened? See below.

      >it's no problem at all to write any Sindarin
      >mode without using uure.

      The use of úre is attested in two of the three well-attested Sindarin
      modes. In the mode of Beleriand (vide 'A Elbereth Gilthoniel' in RGEO
      and the Moria Gate Inscription in FotR; úre occurs in both) and the
      King's Letter, version III, mode úre is used for the vowel 'u'. We
      should not reject attested forms without reason.

      Cuio mae, Danny. (And in the mode of Beleriand, _cuio_ is written with
      úre.)
    • xeeniseit
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 11, 2002
        I'm sorry for confusing everything with uure. My fault. Thinking too
        much in tehtar makes me seperating seperating vowels and consonants -
        even in full modes: I just forgot the vowel tengwar. Of course, uure is
        to be used in Sindarin, but only in full mode (as vowel tengwa), never
        in tehtar mode as it is in standard Quenya mode.
        Sorry again.
        alf