Re: A tehta/tengwa question

  • xeeniseit
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 16, 2002
      DDanielA@w... teithant:

      > When writing the word _gwilwileth_ in tengwar, the first 'w' would be > w=
      ritten as a following 'w' tehta (over twist, reversed tilde) above
      > the anga or ungwe (depending on the mode). My question is about the
      > second 'w'; would it be written as that tehta as well, or as a
      > separate tengwa? When using a ómatehta mode, it would be awkward to
      > have both the 'i' tehta and the following 'w' tehta above the lambe,
      > but the attested tengwar rendering of _edwen_ in KLIII shows that a
      > vowel tehta can share space with following 'w' above a tengwa even if
      > it does appear rather clumsy. I know we lack an attested example of
      > 'lw' in tengwar, but does anybody have an opinion?
      >
      > Cuio mae, Danny.

      I do. I think there are good reasons to write the _gwi_ in the word
      _gwilwileth_ with two tehtar on one tengwa but the _lwi_ with two
      tengwar and only one tehta. I suppose, it depends on the syllabic
      structure: two tengwar means that the first belows to the previous
      syllable, one tengwar and two tehtar means that there's only one
      syllable. We have evidence for this when we look at a lot of languages.
      There seems to be a preference for syllables with no consonants at the
      end, and many languages allow only very few consonants at the end of a
      syllable. Finnish for instance, which is similar to quenya, has only t,
      n, r, l, or s at the ends of syllables, Spanish lacks even the t, so
      does Italian. If it the l in _gwilwileth_ is such a special syllable
      ending consonant, we can syllable the word as gwil-wi-leth and write l
      and w with two tengwar, because they're not in the same syllable. The
      only language I know which allows _lw_ in the same syllable is French
      (in _loi_), but the w in these cases is said to form a group rather
      with the following vowel than with the l. But I know of different
      languages that have initial combinations which are similar to the _gw_
      in _gwilwileth_ or to the _dw_ in _edwen_(Spanish _guapo_, _duende_,
      English _queen_, _two_, German _quer_, _zwar_), so we can still write
      these words with two tehtar on one tengwa.

      btw, what about stating the following: if a languages allows most of
      its consonants at the ends of syllables, it is to be written with the
      tehtar on the following tengwar (English, Sindarin).

      What about writing combinations such as the above _gw_, _dw_, with the
      tengwa for the following w below the tengwa, considering the w a part
      of the consonant tengwa and not of the vowel? Are there attestations
      for that?

      suilaid