Re: [elfscript] English, in tengwar

  • DDanielA@webtv.net
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 12, 2002
      Teithant dekar64:
      >Okay, first of all, I just joined. Hi! ^_~
      Welcome!
      >Anyways, I acknowledge that each vowel has a set sound,
      >and, accordingly, I write phoenetically
      Well, Tolkien rarely wrote English vowels phonetically with tehtar. As
      far as that goes, Tolkien actually rarely wrote English in a tehta mode
      period. Most of his samples of English in tengwar used full writing
      modes.
      > These are- "uh" (as in "Love" and "Stuff") / "ih"
      >(as in "if" and "kill") ... can these be represented
      >using the tengwar alphabet?
      If we follow Tolkien's example ... and there can be no better example
      ... the short 'i' tehta is attested in the title page inscription in the
      word 'history': it is simply the single dot tehta. As I stated above,
      Tolkien did not tend to represent vowels phonetically. He, no doubt,
      would have used the curl open to the right for the 'o' in 'love' and the
      curl open to the left for the 'u' in 'stuff'. I would recommend doing
      the same; the reading of these two words would be unambiguous using
      those tehtar. BTW ... he used the single under-dot for both silent 'e'
      and the schwa.