Re: [elfscript] English, in tengwar.

  • Young Power
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 12, 2002
      Hi all. First post for me too, but when I write English using tengwar, I tend towards assigning the following values:
      "Vowel Symbol" Short Sound Long Sound
      a Cat Father
      e slept Slate (what in English would be long A)
      also use for schwa sound
      and hidden e's
      i Fit Feet
      o Hoe Bought
      u But Hoot

      There are some overlaps in sound sometime, and sometimes the English spelling enshrined in my head takes over. A good intermediary for putting stuff into tengwar would be to look it up in a dictionary that uses the international phoenetic alphabet and transcribe from that.

      Eko-mane wrote:Okay, first of all, I just joined. Hi! ^_~

      Second of all, I realize there's most likely a post/thread on this
      topic somewhere, but I also realize that this is a very active group.
      I didn't find anything to help me, obviously, but I apologise if it's
      there, and I just missed it. ^_^;

      In any case, I've got the basic concept of the tengwar and tehtar. I
      use TengScribe (because I'm lazy) and its English mode (puts the
      tehta over the following consonant/cluster). Besides, that's how I've
      always learned it.

      Anyways, I acknowledge that each vowel has a set sound, and,
      accordingly, I write phoenetically rather than literally. However...
      as English is a very erratic language, there are some vowel sounds
      that don't seem to be represented. (I say seem, because either I or
      Dan Smith may be wrong) These are- "uh" (as in "Love"
      and "Stuff") / "ih" (as in "if" and "kill")

      So, to my question, can these be represented using the tengwar
      alphabet? If so, how, and if not, what is the suggested substitute?

      Thanks, everyone, I appreciate the help and await a response. ^_^

      Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT