Re: Phrase in Elvish

  • laurifindil
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 10, 2002
      --- In elfscript@y..., "cronojg" <cronojcg@a...> wrote:
      > Could some one tell me the translation of "All the stars in the
      > heavens could not compare to one glimps of your beauty." In Sindarin.
      > Thank you.

      This ML is dedicated to the -study- of the writing system of Med. It
      is not a translation board of the Elvish language.

      Alos, no one on this ML (even those who will anwser your e-mail, and
      sure they well be some) or any other ML is capable of translation a
      complexe text into Sindarin. Why ? Because we do not know (yet) that
      very complicated language of the Grey-elves. Any translation will be
      Mish-mash Sindarin.
    • psalm19us
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 11, 2002
        --- In elfscript@y..., "cronojg" <cronojcg@a...> wrote:
        > Could some one tell me the translation of "All the stars in the
        > heavens could not compare to one glimps of your beauty." In
        Sindarin.
        > Thank you.

        You could try posting your translation request on the elfling list…

        Read the FAQ's and if possible make an effort to translate it
        yourself first; there are a good many resources listed.

        As to translations being "mish-mash" Sindarin – perhaps it is true.
        Since the language was never really completed by Tolkien and he is
        not around now to ask about the details, it does make it difficult to
        determine what would really be correct in any given instance.
        However, even if we were Elves, we might fade completely away before
        we come to a definitive consensus on what Tolkien wanted the language
        to be – if it is even possible at all. In the meantime, those of us
        who wish to use the language must do the best we can with our "mish-
        mash" and "individual dialects." As long as we try to be as correct
        as possible within the limits of what information is available, that
        is fine with me. :)

        I am very thankful for all the help I have receive on these lists,
        and I know those who offered translation help were not always sure of
        a definitive answer. But, my desire, like that of many others, is to
        USE the language, even if it means not every nuance of the language
        is exactly as Tolkien intended. If I remember correctly, Tolkien
        himself never quit "fine tuning" his languages, thus they never
        reached a final "static" state. Therefore it does not completely
        unhinge me to use "derived" words and have multiple approaches to
        constructing words and sentences. I guess using any words or forms
        not directly attested is "getting away from Tolkien's Elvish," but
        that leaves us with the dilemma of being either "correct" but
        extremely restricted in our writing/translating ability or taking the
        risk of branching out into "mish-mash."

        I am deeply indebted and extremely grateful to those scholars who
        study the actual texts and present to us the "new" information. Where
        would we be without them? I am quite willing to readily revise any
        conventions I may have adopted in the light of new revelations of
        Tolkien's actual usage of the language whenever such are made
        available. I rely on the experts to steer us in the right direction,
        but, personally, I don't intend to wait on a "final version" before I
        write another poem in Sindarin. :)

        Ithildin