Phrase in Elvish

  • cronojg
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 9, 2002
      Could some one tell me the translation of "All the stars in the
      heavens could not compare to one glimps of your beauty." In Sindarin.
      Thank you.
    • laurifindil
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 10, 2002
        --- In elfscript@y..., "cronojg" <cronojcg@a...> wrote:
        > Could some one tell me the translation of "All the stars in the
        > heavens could not compare to one glimps of your beauty." In Sindarin.
        > Thank you.

        This ML is dedicated to the -study- of the writing system of Med. It
        is not a translation board of the Elvish language.

        Alos, no one on this ML (even those who will anwser your e-mail, and
        sure they well be some) or any other ML is capable of translation a
        complexe text into Sindarin. Why ? Because we do not know (yet) that
        very complicated language of the Grey-elves. Any translation will be
        Mish-mash Sindarin.
      • psalm19us
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 11, 2002
          --- In elfscript@y..., "cronojg" <cronojcg@a...> wrote:
          > Could some one tell me the translation of "All the stars in the
          > heavens could not compare to one glimps of your beauty." In
          Sindarin.
          > Thank you.

          You could try posting your translation request on the elfling list…

          Read the FAQ's and if possible make an effort to translate it
          yourself first; there are a good many resources listed.

          As to translations being "mish-mash" Sindarin – perhaps it is true.
          Since the language was never really completed by Tolkien and he is
          not around now to ask about the details, it does make it difficult to
          determine what would really be correct in any given instance.
          However, even if we were Elves, we might fade completely away before
          we come to a definitive consensus on what Tolkien wanted the language
          to be – if it is even possible at all. In the meantime, those of us
          who wish to use the language must do the best we can with our "mish-
          mash" and "individual dialects." As long as we try to be as correct
          as possible within the limits of what information is available, that
          is fine with me. :)

          I am very thankful for all the help I have receive on these lists,
          and I know those who offered translation help were not always sure of
          a definitive answer. But, my desire, like that of many others, is to
          USE the language, even if it means not every nuance of the language
          is exactly as Tolkien intended. If I remember correctly, Tolkien
          himself never quit "fine tuning" his languages, thus they never
          reached a final "static" state. Therefore it does not completely
          unhinge me to use "derived" words and have multiple approaches to
          constructing words and sentences. I guess using any words or forms
          not directly attested is "getting away from Tolkien's Elvish," but
          that leaves us with the dilemma of being either "correct" but
          extremely restricted in our writing/translating ability or taking the
          risk of branching out into "mish-mash."

          I am deeply indebted and extremely grateful to those scholars who
          study the actual texts and present to us the "new" information. Where
          would we be without them? I am quite willing to readily revise any
          conventions I may have adopted in the light of new revelations of
          Tolkien's actual usage of the language whenever such are made
          available. I rely on the experts to steer us in the right direction,
          but, personally, I don't intend to wait on a "final version" before I
          write another poem in Sindarin. :)

          Ithildin