Re: Help with translation - sindarin

  • dcaterpillar
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 5, 2002
      --- In elfscript@y..., "laurifindil" <ejk@f...> wrote:
      > --- In elfscript@y..., Gildor Inglorion <elfiness@y...> wrote:
      > > teithant dcaterpillar
      > >
      > > > Here it goes:Ir I Dûr tôb I Dôr,Elbereth togham aen
      > > > an Londë.
      > > > It is supposed to mean: When The Dark covers up The
      > > > Land, may
      > > > Elbereth guide us to a sheltered place.
      > > > coud you help me correct it?
      > >
      > > ir i-dhuath tuubathar i-ndoor, Elbereth togo ven an
      > > lond
      > > (londe is Quenya)
      >
      > We (and that includes Mister Gildor!) do not know "enought" about
      the
      > Sindarin language to be able, to speak, translate or do anything
      but
      > _study_ those extract which have been published so far.
      >
      > Almost any attempt of Sindarin "translation" can only be
      called "Bad-
      > Sindarin" or "Mish-mash Sindarin" and that is "ir i-dhuath... etc."
      > Just plain "Gildor-Style=Sindarin". And if I translated it it would
      > be just as plain Bad Laurifindil-Style Sindarin.
      >
      > Futhermore this ML is *not* about translating languages but about
      the
      > writting sytem : tengwar, runes, sarati.
      Thank you all for your help.
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 5, 2002
        teithant laurifindil

        > We (and that includes Mister Gildor!) do not know

        for one more time, i don't like to be called "mister"
        :)

        > "enought" about the
        > Sindarin language to be able, to speak, translate or
        > do anything but
        > _study_ those extract which have been published so
        > far.

        *anything*? (emphasis mine).. i think your are
        exaggerating

        > Almost any attempt of Sindarin "translation" can
        > only be called "Bad-
        > Sindarin" or "Mish-mash Sindarin" and that is "ir
        > i-dhuath... etc."
        > Just plain "Gildor-Style=Sindarin". And if I
        > translated it it would
        > be just as plain Bad Laurifindil-Style Sindarin.

        it's not "bad", but "unsure".. and in some cases the
        "personal dialects" are a necessary evil
        (Helge-Sindarin lenits verbs, while Gildor-Sindarin
        doesn't), and we all expect those dialects to be more
        and more "Tolkienised" in time with new
        publications(and in a manner, dialects are not "wrong"
        just because they differ from a standard language)

        since the requesters' life is not at stake when they
        get a somehow-wrong/unsure-translation, i think it's
        ok to provide the best translation possible..

        > Futhermore this ML is *not* about translating
        > languages but about the
        > writting sytem : tengwar, runes, sarati.

        right.. i expect she will be asking a transcription