Re: [elfscript] Help with translation - sindarin

    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 4, 2002
      teithant dcaterpillar

      > Here it goes:Ir I Dϋr tτb I Dτr,Elbereth togham aen
      > an Londλ.
      > It is supposed to mean: When The Dark covers up The
      > Land, may
      > Elbereth guide us to a sheltered place.
      > coud you help me correct it?

      ir i-dhuath tuubathar i-ndoor, Elbereth togo ven an
      lond
      (londe is Quenya)

    • laurifindil
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 5, 2002
        --- In elfscript@y..., Gildor Inglorion <elfiness@y...> wrote:
        > teithant dcaterpillar
        >
        > > Here it goes:Ir I Dûr tôb I Dôr,Elbereth togham aen
        > > an Londë.
        > > It is supposed to mean: When The Dark covers up The
        > > Land, may
        > > Elbereth guide us to a sheltered place.
        > > coud you help me correct it?
        >
        > ir i-dhuath tuubathar i-ndoor, Elbereth togo ven an
        > lond
        > (londe is Quenya)

        We (and that includes Mister Gildor!) do not know "enought" about the
        Sindarin language to be able, to speak, translate or do anything but
        _study_ those extract which have been published so far.

        Almost any attempt of Sindarin "translation" can only be called "Bad-
        Sindarin" or "Mish-mash Sindarin" and that is "ir i-dhuath... etc."
        Just plain "Gildor-Style=Sindarin". And if I translated it it would
        be just as plain Bad Laurifindil-Style Sindarin.

        Futhermore this ML is *not* about translating languages but about the
        writting sytem : tengwar, runes, sarati.
      • dcaterpillar
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 5, 2002
          --- In elfscript@y..., "laurifindil" <ejk@f...> wrote:
          > --- In elfscript@y..., Gildor Inglorion <elfiness@y...> wrote:
          > > teithant dcaterpillar
          > >
          > > > Here it goes:Ir I Dûr tôb I Dôr,Elbereth togham aen
          > > > an Londë.
          > > > It is supposed to mean: When The Dark covers up The
          > > > Land, may
          > > > Elbereth guide us to a sheltered place.
          > > > coud you help me correct it?
          > >
          > > ir i-dhuath tuubathar i-ndoor, Elbereth togo ven an
          > > lond
          > > (londe is Quenya)
          >
          > We (and that includes Mister Gildor!) do not know "enought" about
          the
          > Sindarin language to be able, to speak, translate or do anything
          but
          > _study_ those extract which have been published so far.
          >
          > Almost any attempt of Sindarin "translation" can only be
          called "Bad-
          > Sindarin" or "Mish-mash Sindarin" and that is "ir i-dhuath... etc."
          > Just plain "Gildor-Style=Sindarin". And if I translated it it would
          > be just as plain Bad Laurifindil-Style Sindarin.
          >
          > Futhermore this ML is *not* about translating languages but about
          the
          > writting sytem : tengwar, runes, sarati.
          Thank you all for your help.
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 5, 2002
            teithant laurifindil

            > We (and that includes Mister Gildor!) do not know

            for one more time, i don't like to be called "mister"
            :)

            > "enought" about the
            > Sindarin language to be able, to speak, translate or
            > do anything but
            > _study_ those extract which have been published so
            > far.

            *anything*? (emphasis mine).. i think your are
            exaggerating

            > Almost any attempt of Sindarin "translation" can
            > only be called "Bad-
            > Sindarin" or "Mish-mash Sindarin" and that is "ir
            > i-dhuath... etc."
            > Just plain "Gildor-Style=Sindarin". And if I
            > translated it it would
            > be just as plain Bad Laurifindil-Style Sindarin.

            it's not "bad", but "unsure".. and in some cases the
            "personal dialects" are a necessary evil
            (Helge-Sindarin lenits verbs, while Gildor-Sindarin
            doesn't), and we all expect those dialects to be more
            and more "Tolkienised" in time with new
            publications(and in a manner, dialects are not "wrong"
            just because they differ from a standard language)

            since the requesters' life is not at stake when they
            get a somehow-wrong/unsure-translation, i think it's
            ok to provide the best translation possible..

            > Futhermore this ML is *not* about translating
            > languages but about the
            > writting sytem : tengwar, runes, sarati.

            right.. i expect she will be asking a transcription