Help with translation - sindarin

  • dcaterpillar
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 4, 2002
      This is my first atempt to translate something in Sindarin.
      I´m not sure if all the word are actually Sindarin, or if there´s
      some Quenya mixed within.
      i also foun very hard to write the conditional sentence.
      Here it goes:Ir I Dûr tôb I Dôr,Elbereth togham aen an Londë.
      It is supposed to mean: When The Dark covers up The Land, may
      Elbereth guide us to a sheltered place.
      coud you help me correct it?
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 4, 2002
        teithant dcaterpillar

        > Here it goes:Ir I Dϋr tτb I Dτr,Elbereth togham aen
        > an Londλ.
        > It is supposed to mean: When The Dark covers up The
        > Land, may
        > Elbereth guide us to a sheltered place.
        > coud you help me correct it?

        ir i-dhuath tuubathar i-ndoor, Elbereth togo ven an
        lond
        (londe is Quenya)

      • laurifindil
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 5, 2002
          --- In elfscript@y..., Gildor Inglorion <elfiness@y...> wrote:
          > teithant dcaterpillar
          >
          > > Here it goes:Ir I Dûr tôb I Dôr,Elbereth togham aen
          > > an Londë.
          > > It is supposed to mean: When The Dark covers up The
          > > Land, may
          > > Elbereth guide us to a sheltered place.
          > > coud you help me correct it?
          >
          > ir i-dhuath tuubathar i-ndoor, Elbereth togo ven an
          > lond
          > (londe is Quenya)

          We (and that includes Mister Gildor!) do not know "enought" about the
          Sindarin language to be able, to speak, translate or do anything but
          _study_ those extract which have been published so far.

          Almost any attempt of Sindarin "translation" can only be called "Bad-
          Sindarin" or "Mish-mash Sindarin" and that is "ir i-dhuath... etc."
          Just plain "Gildor-Style=Sindarin". And if I translated it it would
          be just as plain Bad Laurifindil-Style Sindarin.

          Futhermore this ML is *not* about translating languages but about the
          writting sytem : tengwar, runes, sarati.
        • dcaterpillar
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 5, 2002
            --- In elfscript@y..., "laurifindil" <ejk@f...> wrote:
            > --- In elfscript@y..., Gildor Inglorion <elfiness@y...> wrote:
            > > teithant dcaterpillar
            > >
            > > > Here it goes:Ir I Dûr tôb I Dôr,Elbereth togham aen
            > > > an Londë.
            > > > It is supposed to mean: When The Dark covers up The
            > > > Land, may
            > > > Elbereth guide us to a sheltered place.
            > > > coud you help me correct it?
            > >
            > > ir i-dhuath tuubathar i-ndoor, Elbereth togo ven an
            > > lond
            > > (londe is Quenya)
            >
            > We (and that includes Mister Gildor!) do not know "enought" about
            the
            > Sindarin language to be able, to speak, translate or do anything
            but
            > _study_ those extract which have been published so far.
            >
            > Almost any attempt of Sindarin "translation" can only be
            called "Bad-
            > Sindarin" or "Mish-mash Sindarin" and that is "ir i-dhuath... etc."
            > Just plain "Gildor-Style=Sindarin". And if I translated it it would
            > be just as plain Bad Laurifindil-Style Sindarin.
            >
            > Futhermore this ML is *not* about translating languages but about
            the
            > writting sytem : tengwar, runes, sarati.
            Thank you all for your help.
            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 5, 2002
              teithant laurifindil

              > We (and that includes Mister Gildor!) do not know

              for one more time, i don't like to be called "mister"
              :)

              > "enought" about the
              > Sindarin language to be able, to speak, translate or
              > do anything but
              > _study_ those extract which have been published so
              > far.

              *anything*? (emphasis mine).. i think your are
              exaggerating

              > Almost any attempt of Sindarin "translation" can
              > only be called "Bad-
              > Sindarin" or "Mish-mash Sindarin" and that is "ir
              > i-dhuath... etc."
              > Just plain "Gildor-Style=Sindarin". And if I
              > translated it it would
              > be just as plain Bad Laurifindil-Style Sindarin.

              it's not "bad", but "unsure".. and in some cases the
              "personal dialects" are a necessary evil
              (Helge-Sindarin lenits verbs, while Gildor-Sindarin
              doesn't), and we all expect those dialects to be more
              and more "Tolkienised" in time with new
              publications(and in a manner, dialects are not "wrong"
              just because they differ from a standard language)

              since the requesters' life is not at stake when they
              get a somehow-wrong/unsure-translation, i think it's
              ok to provide the best translation possible..

              > Futhermore this ML is *not* about translating
              > languages but about the
              > writting sytem : tengwar, runes, sarati.

              right.. i expect she will be asking a transcription