Circumflexes in the Book of Mazarbul?

  • Vicentini Emanuele
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 5, 2001
      Greetings,

      I'm not sure if what I'm writing is plainly wrong, so first of all
      I beg your pardon.

      In the Book pages made by Tolkien there's and under-bar used to
      "double" some runes (even if there are more specific runes for those
      particular sounds, but now that doesn't matter); from Mr. Smith's docs I
      got the news that there's also a "circumflex" in the Book, but up to now I
      haven't found it. Could anyone be so kind to point me to the right page?

      Saluti,
      Emanuele.

      "He loved maps, as I have told you before; and he also
      liked runes and letters and cunning handwriting..."
      -- J.R.R. Tolkien, The Hobbit
    • Dan Smith
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 5, 2001
        At 11:25 PM 2/5/01 +0100, Vicentini Emanuele wrote:
        > In the Book pages made by Tolkien there's and under-bar used to
        >"double" some runes (even if there are more specific runes for those
        >particular sounds, but now that doesn't matter); from Mr. Smith's docs I
        >got the news that there's also a "circumflex" in the Book, but up to now I
        >haven't found it. Could anyone be so kind to point me to the right page?

        The "circumflex" is used in:
        _Letters by J.R.R.Tolkien_ (1981), page 132,
        Letter to Hugh Brogan - top inscription
        Houghton Mifflin, 1981 / ISBN 0-395-31555-7
        and
        _The Treason of Isengard_ (1989), page 464
        Dwarf runes for writing English (phonetic)
        Houghton Mifflin, 1981 / ISBN 0-395-51562-9