Re: [elfscript] Translation

    Message 1 of 19 , Aug 14, 2002
      teithant ie00lima

      > Hey there
      >
      > I would like a translation of the latin phrase
      > "Carpe diem" to
      > Tengwar Sindarin. Can anyone help me with that?

      as someone other said,this list is for discussion of
      writing systems,not translations or languages

      Message 2 of 19 , Dec 20, 2002
        I posted this earlier on the board, but I guess it must have been
        missed, so I'll ask again.

        Could somebody please translate the phrase "Love, Truth, and Honor"
        into Elvish for me? Either Quenya a/o Sindarin would be fine with
        me. It would be the noun forms of those three words. I plan on
        having these words in Elvish as a tattoo, so any help would be
        appreciated. If you can translate it for me, could you specify if
        its Quenya or Sindarin, and also provide me with a pronunciation so I
        will know how to write it.

        I also had a more general question about Elvish. Are there fully
        developed vocabularies for Quenya and Sindarin, and if so, what would
        be a good book to read/use to learn more about the specifics of the
        languages beyond the info in the LOTR appendixes.

        Thanks for the help.

        Jake Hebert
        Message 3 of 19 , Dec 22, 2002
          > Could somebody please translate the phrase "Love, Truth, and Honor" into
          Elvish for me? Either Quenya a/o Sindarin would be fine with me.

          Quenya _melme_ means "love". I am not aware of any Tolkien-made word for
          "truth", but _anwa_ is the adjective "true", and a plausible abstract
          formation could be *_anwie_ (compare, say, _mornie_ "darkness" next to the
          adjective _morna_ "dark"). "Honor" -- well, maybe _alcar_ "glory" is close
          enough? The conjunction "and" is _ar_. Thus:

          MELME, ANWIE AR ALCAR

          Yours,
          Helge Fauskanger
        • Becca
          Message 4 of 19 , Jun 9, 2003
            Hey guys I need help translation "One soul in two rings" or "One soul
            in two bodies". one being a friendship the other marriage. PLEASE
            help, I'm thinking either Sindarin or Quenya(sp)..
          • Abrigon Gusiq
            Message 5 of 19 , Jun 14, 2003
              Well, break it down as sounds..

              Crystal - Kris'tall

              Might go for Sindarian, since it often has either individual letters for
              sounds, like how English does it, or it has diacritical marks (like how
              German and French have characters above/below the letter), that are in
              front of the consonant being added to or is it behind?

              Is or Si?

              Mike

            • elimloth
              Message 6 of 19 , Jun 14, 2003
                --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, Abrigon Gusiq <abrigon@y...> wrote:
                [...]
                > Might go for Sindarian, since it often has either individual
                letters for
                > sounds,

                Please! It is Sindarin, not Sindarian.

                Elimloth
              • tamashii72
                Message 7 of 19 , Dec 15, 2003
                  Hi everybody. I am a new fan of Tengwar (Quenya and Sindarin).
                  I would like to ask if someone can translate some words to me so I
                  can check if I did it correctly.
                  These are
                  Andrea
                  Liliana
                  Soul
                  Spirit
                  Thanks for your help
                • elimloth
                  Message 8 of 19 , Dec 15, 2003
                    --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, "tamashii72" <tamashii72@y...>
                    wrote:
                    > Hi everybody. I am a new fan of Tengwar (Quenya and Sindarin).
                    > I would like to ask if someone can translate some words to me so I
                    > can check if I did it correctly.

                    If you have translated some English words into Sindarin or Quenya
                    just post them for review. If you have transcribed english into
                    Tengwar (in the English mode), just post a JPG or PNG image file
                    then we can see that too.

                    However, I do suspect you are confusing translation and
                    transcription. Here are a few references:

                    http://nellardo.com/lang/elf/faq.html
                    http://gildor.freepage.gr/tolkien/realteng/guide.html
                    http://hem.passagen.se/mansb/at/tengwar.htm
                    http://www.forodrim.org/daeron/md_teng_primers.html
                    http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/4948/tengwar/index.htm
                    http://www.sci.fi/~alboin/tengwartutorial.htm

                    Elimloth
                  • firnsarnien
                    Message 9 of 19 , Jun 21, 2005
                      I'm wondering if someone could please tell me what ai; den; and
                      lerthach mean. I'm trying to verify and double check something. I've
                      not been able to find ai anywhere. I think den means it and the ch on
                      lerthach stands for you, but I'm not sure about the lertah part.
                      Actually, I'm pretty iffy on all three of these, can someone help me
                      out? Thanks.
                      Message 10 of 19 , Jun 21, 2005
                        --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, "firnsarnien" <firnsarnien@y...>
                        wrote:
                        > I'm wondering if someone could please tell me what ai; den; and
                        > lerthach mean. I'm trying to verify and double check something.
                        > I've not been able to find ai anywhere. I think den means it and
                        > the ch on lerthach stands for you, but I'm not sure about the
                        > lertah part. Actually, I'm pretty iffy on all three of these, can
                        > someone help me out? Thanks.

                        Hello,
                        this group isn't concerned with languages but the writing systems.
                        Here is the right group for you:

                        Though, to give you some answer, _ai_ and _den_ are unlike _lerthach_
                        real Tolkien words (genuine, Tolkien's own), the last mentioned is a
                        Neo-Sindarin form (it means a form of a Tolkien languages fan/student
                        or group of fans/students).

                        _ai_ means 'Ah' as in _Ai na vedui Dúnadan!_ 'Ah, at last, Westman!'
                        in Glofindel's greeting to Aragorn in the Lord of the Rings - the
                        Fellowship of the Ring, chapter XII.

                        _den_ is probably a mutated form of *_ten_ which is probably 'it' as
                        in _caro den i innas lin_ *'make it happen', lit. *'make it your/thy
                        will' in the Lord's Prayer released in the Vinyar Tengwar #44.

                        I don't know what _lerthach_ means.

                        Lucy
                      • firnsarnien
                        Message 11 of 19 , Jun 22, 2005
                          Thanks Lucy, for the help and pointing me in the right direction! :)
                        • Daniel King
                          Message 12 of 19 , Oct 10, 2005
                            I've been trying to teach myself a little bit of Elvish to try to translate something from English to Quenya. The following is what I tried to translate:

                            Be faithful unto death and (I will give you)
                            Na veronda tenna qualmë ar (tye antuvinyë)

                            the crown of life.
                            i ríë (-ya-) cuilë.

                            I was confused on two points (but probably wrong in more than one). The frist is where I had a simple future conjugated verb between two pronouns. I believe I cojugated the verb correctly (antuva-will give you) but I wasn't sure if I should add the "I" pronoun to the end of the verb and have the "you" pronoun precede the full conjugation or if it should be written differently. The second point was at the preposition. I believe that "ya" is the correct form to use but I am
                            confused as to where this form would go.

                            Any input would be helpful.

                            The only reason some people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

                          • Måns Björkman
                            Message 13 of 19 , Oct 10, 2005
                              This should probably rather be discussed on Elfling, but...

                              --- In elfscript@yahoogroups.com, Daniel King <placibonin@y...> wrote:

                              > I've been trying to teach myself a little bit of Elvish to try to
                              translate something from English to Quenya. The following is what I
                              tried to translate:

                              > Be faithful unto death and (I will give you)
                              > Na veronda tenna qualmë ar (tye antuvinyë)
                              >
                              > the crown of life.
                              > i ríë (-ya-) cuilë.

                              There is little to object to in this translation. I suggest the
                              following slight rephrasing:
                              _Na voronda tenna qualme ar tye antuvanye [i] ríe cuileva_

                              > I was confused on two points (but probably wrong in more than one).
                              The frist is where I had a simple future conjugated verb between two
                              pronouns. I believe I cojugated the verb correctly (antuva-will give
                              you) but I wasn't sure if I should add the "I" pronoun to the end of
                              the verb and have the "you" pronoun precede the full conjugation or if
                              it should be written differently.

                              I'd say you used a correct solution. The same syntax is used in the
                              "Lost Road" phrase _tye-meláne_ "I love thee", and in the Sindarin _le
                              linnathon_ "to thee I will chant" in the Hymn to Elbereth. There may
                              be other examples that I don't recall at the moment.

                              I do think that *_antuva_ with 1sg person suffix is *_antuvan(ye)_.
                              For comparison, Tolkien seems to have translated _linnathon_ as
                              _linduvanye_ in Quenya.

                              > The second point was at the preposition. I believe that "ya" is
                              the correct form to use but I am
                              > confused as to where this form would go.

                              The only translations of _ya_ that I am aware of is "which" and "as".
                              "Of" is usually expressed with the genitive or the possessive case in
                              Quenya: *_cuileo_ or *_cuileva_.

                              Yours,
                              Måns
                            • captainandwendy
                              Message 14 of 19 , Jul 4, 2009
                                Heya folks, I'm wanting to get this translation accurate, so I'm asking for help. I have a Latin phrase that I want to represent in Tengwar, preferably Quenya mode if it has all of the appropriate sounds available.

                                The Latin is "amare revereri fovere". I have an MP3 recording of a Latin expert providing the exact pronunciation, and I can send it to you upon request.

                                Thanks for any help you can offer :)