name in tengwar characters

  • aj6t9
    Message 1 of 18 , Jul 28, 2002
      im new to the elvish language and was wanting to know how my name
      would be pronounced and how it would look - using the style written
      on the ring. Any help or suggestions would be great.

      Andrew-James
      Message 2 of 18 , Jul 29, 2002
        teithant aj6t9

        > im new to the elvish language and was wanting to
        > know how my name
        > would be pronounced and how it would look - using
        > the style written
        > on the ring. Any help or suggestions would be great.
        >
        > Andrew-James

        According to Quenya Lapseparma your names are
        Veon-Encaitar (veh-on an keye-tar)...

        you can see how they would look if you learn to write
        with tengwar, and use thestyle written on the ring :)

      • Melanie Comito
        Message 3 of 18 , Jul 29, 2002
          would anyone mind trying mine?

          The name I prefer to use is Neamh

          I only joined the list a few days ago, so mainly lurking
          and trying to get a grasp.

          Blessings

          Mel
          aka Neamh

          Message 4 of 18 , Jul 29, 2002
            teithant Melanie Comito

            > would anyone mind trying mine?
            >
            > The name I prefer to use is Neamh
            >
            > I only joined the list a few days ago, so mainly
            > lurking
            > and trying to get a grasp.

            this list is not for asking translations, but at least
            we could help you to try writing it (but i expect you
            already know what sites to look for :))

            anyway, when we translate a name we consult
            http://www.elvish.org/elm, and of course, we need to
            know the name's meaning...

            the name you asked is not there, and I personally
            don't speak gaelic.. if you could provide us with an
            English translation of your name we might help you

          • Melanie Comito
            Message 5 of 18 , Jul 29, 2002
              *g* thats ok, I wasn't sure, but never hurts to ask.

              The name Neamh is Gaelic for Heaven, I believe. It was a name
              given to me by another.

              I've had a quick glance at the site (I confess, I'm at work at the moment)
              and will give it a go when I get home tonight.

              I thought when I first looked at it all, like it would be just the same as
              any other font, that you hit the same keys you would if you were typing
              anything else.... but yea, i've noticed from the few things I've seen on here
              that it's not that simple. So, you could say I'm just a little bit unsure so far.

              The writing is beautiful, my inspiration to understand it came from The Elvin
              Love Rings sold thru another website that my partner and I are having for wedders.
              I would like to be able to work out how to put something personal on our invites
              using the tengwar or more so the quenya writing.

              I appreciate your polite patience :)

              Blessings

              Neamh

              Message 6 of 18 , Jul 29, 2002
                teithant Melanie Comito

                > The name Neamh is Gaelic for Heaven, I believe. It
                > was a name
                > given to me by another.

                luckily it's simple, menel is translated as "Heaven"
                in Quenya (and Sindarin)

                > I thought when I first looked at it all, like it
                > would be just the same as
                > any other font, that you hit the same keys you
                > would if you were typing
                > anything else.... but yea, i've noticed from the
                > few things I've seen on here
                > that it's not that simple. So, you could say I'm
                > just a little bit unsure so far.

                the first step is to learn the alphabet, and to write
                tengwar with pen, then the font usage with your
                keyboard comes later (which is quite complicated)

              • Neamh
                Message 7 of 18 , Jul 29, 2002
                  > teithant Melanie Comito
                  Do I assume "teithant" is the tengwar greeting?

                  > luckily it's simple, menel is translated as "Heaven"
                  > in Quenya (and Sindarin)

                  Thankyou... :)

                  > the first step is to learn the alphabet, and to write
                  > tengwar with pen, then the font usage with your
                  > keyboard comes later (which is quite complicated)

                  ok, so how would one set about learning the alphabet? Is there a site
                  that you would recommend perhaps as being reputable and accurate?
                  I'm happy to start at the beginning *g*

                  Sorry if this I'm asking a lot of questions... I did warn you I was new to
                  all this :)

                  Blessings

                  Neamh
                • DDanielA@webtv.net
                  Message 8 of 18 , Jul 29, 2002
                    Teithant Neamh:
                    > >teithant Melanie Comito
                    >Do I assume "teithant" is the tengwar greeting?

                    No. Tengwar is a script, not a language. 'Teithant' is Sindarin for
                    'wrote'; 'Teithant Melanie Comito' = 'Melanie Comito wrote'. A Sindarin
                    greeting would be 'Suilad!'

                    > >luckily it's simple, menel is translated as "Heaven"
                    > >in Quenya (and Sindarin)
                    >Thankyou... :)

                    I would add a feminine ending to make it a personal name: 'Menelwen'
                    would mean 'Heaven-maiden' in both Quenya and Sindarin, though they
                    would be written differently in tengwar.

                    >so how would one set about learning the alphabet? Is
                    >there a site that you would recommend perhaps as
                    >being reputable and accurate?

                    Måns Björkman's 'Amanye Tenceli' is as reputable and as accurate as
                    you're likely to find: http://hem.passagen.se/mansb/at/
                    There you will find a category entitled 'Tengwar modes' where is
                    explained how to write Quenya in Tengwar, and how to write Sindarin in
                    the Tengwar Mode of Beleriand. Also, check out Mellonath Daeron's
                    'Tengwar Primers' ... I believe there's a link at 'Amanye Tenceli'.

                    Message 9 of 18 , Jul 29, 2002
                      teithant Neamh

                      > > teithant Melanie Comito
                      > Do I assume "teithant" is the tengwar greeting?

                      as you see, it's in latin letters, not tengwar! it's
                      sindarin for "wrote"

                      > ok, so how would one set about learning the
                      > alphabet? Is there a site
                      > that you would recommend perhaps as being reputable
                      > and accurate?
                      > I'm happy to start at the beginning *g*

                      this question has been answered repeatedly just today,
                      to another member who posed it :)

                      Message 10 of 18 , Jul 29, 2002
                        Teithant Gildor Inglorion:
                        >teithant Neamh
                        > >Is there a site that you would recommend
                        > >perhaps as being reputable and accurate?
                        >this question has been answered repeatedly
                        >just today, to another member who posed it :)

                        Gildor, mellon niin; those posts to Blaze Tigereye were on Elfling, not
                        Elfscript. Unless Melanie/Neamh/*Menelwen is a member of both groups,
                        she never saw those posts! But I posted the link to 'Amanye Tenceli' for
                        her!

                        Cuio mae, Danny.
                      • Neamh
                        Message 11 of 18 , Jul 29, 2002
                          Teithant Danny:

                          >"No. Tengwar is a script, not a language. 'Teithant' is Sindarin for
                          >'wrote'; 'Teithant Melanie Comito' = 'Melanie Comito wrote'. A Sindarin
                          >greeting would be 'Suilad!'"

                          Thankyou for that... I will have to look up Sindarin now lol.. so many new
                          things :)

                          >"I would add a feminine ending to make it a personal name: 'Menelwen'
                          >would mean 'Heaven-maiden' in both Quenya and Sindarin, though they
                          >would be written differently in tengwar."

                          The name Nèamh was given to me originally as Caile Nèamh - it was a
                          rough Gaelic version of my earlier chat name of Celestine Empress, so it
                          basically meant Woman/Lady of the Heavens. So yea, that is kinda apt
                          given the circumstances.

                          >"Måns Björkman's 'Amanye Tenceli' is as reputable and as accurate as
                          >you're likely to find: http://hem.passagen.se/mansb/at/
                          > There you will find a category entitled 'Tengwar modes' where is
                          >explained how to write Quenya in Tengwar, and how to write Sindarin in
                          >the Tengwar Mode of Beleriand. Also, check out Mellonath Daeron's
                          >'Tengwar Primers' ... I believe there's a link at 'Amanye Tenceli'."

                          Thankyou so much :) Bookmarked for further study :)

                          >"Cuio mae, Danny."

                          Cuio mae.... Sindarin again?

                          Nèamh
                        • Neamh
                          Message 12 of 18 , Jul 29, 2002
                            > teithant Gildor
                            > this question has been answered repeatedly just today,
                            > to another member who posed it :)

                            My apologies - I have been trying to read what I can, but it's been a
                            busy day in the office.

                            Neamh
                            Message 13 of 18 , Jul 29, 2002
                              teithant DDanielA@...

                              > Gildor, mellon niin; those posts to Blaze Tigereye
                              > were on Elfling, not
                              > Elfscript. Unless Melanie/Neamh/*Menelwen is a
                              > member of both groups,
                              > she never saw those posts! But I posted the link to
                              > 'Amanye Tenceli' for
                              > her!

                              oops :)

                              Message 14 of 18 , Jul 29, 2002
                                teithant Neamh

                                > The name Nθamh was given to me originally as Caile
                                > Nθamh - it was a
                                > rough Gaelic version of my earlier chat name of
                                > Celestine Empress, so it
                                > basically meant Woman/Lady of the Heavens. So yea,
                                > that is kinda apt
                                > given the circumstances.

                                i know caillin or something for girl, while from
                                Slaine there is a witch Niamh, not Neamh.. any
                                relation?

                                > Cuio mae.... Sindarin again?

                                yes, it means "live well"... visit
                                http://www.forodrim.org/daeron/md_parl.html for some
                                useful phrases :)

                              • Neamh
                                Message 15 of 18 , Jul 29, 2002
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Jul 29, 2002
                                    --- In elfscript@y..., Gildor Inglorion <elfiness@y...> wrote:
                                    > teithant aj6t9
                                    >
                                    > > im new to the elvish language and was wanting to
                                    > > know how my name
                                    > > would be pronounced and how it would look - using
                                    > > the style written
                                    > > on the ring. Any help or suggestions would be great.
                                    > >
                                    > > Andrew-James
                                    >
                                    > According to Quenya Lapseparma your names are
                                    > Veon-Encaitar (veh-on an keye-tar)...

                                    Dear Newb, the so called "Quenya Lapseparma", which Gildor
                                    is "promoting", has been made up by "Tolkien-freaks", and does not
                                    contain any _reliable_ information about Tolkien's Elvish.

                                    You "Elvish Name" (Veon-Encaitar) is just "mishmash" ; it is NOT
                                    Elvish.
                                  • aj6t9
                                    Message 17 of 18 , Jul 31, 2002
                                      --- In elfscript@y..., "laurifindil" <ejk@f...> wrote:
                                      > --- In elfscript@y..., Gildor Inglorion <elfiness@y...> wrote:
                                      > > teithant aj6t9
                                      > >
                                      > > > im new to the elvish language and was wanting to
                                      > > > know how my name
                                      > > > would be pronounced and how it would look - using
                                      > > > the style written
                                      > > > on the ring. Any help or suggestions would be great.
                                      > > >
                                      > > > Andrew-James
                                      > >
                                      > > According to Quenya Lapseparma your names are
                                      > > Veon-Encaitar (veh-on an keye-tar)...
                                      > >

                                      > Dear Newb, the so called "Quenya Lapseparma", which Gildor
                                      > is "promoting", has been made up by "Tolkien-freaks", and does not
                                      > contain any _reliable_ information about Tolkien's Elvish.

                                      cheers for that guys, im getting there slowly but surely, reading
                                      past posts i guess its better to know what my name means in english
                                      first - then change it over. I was never good at learning french so i
                                      guess this is going to take me a while to get a hang of it.

                                      again thsnks.
                                      > You "Elvish Name" (Veon-Encaitar) is just "mishmash" ; it is NOT
                                      > Elvish.
                                    • aj6t9
                                      Message 18 of 18 , Jul 31, 2002
                                        I looked at the q u e n y a l a p s e p a r m a but I wasn't
                                        convinced by the meanings so I had a go for myself, any corrections
                                        or "where I am going wrong- (most probably(ive probably got it all
                                        wrong), im a newbie not looking for a translation cause i want to do
                                        it myself if someone could point me in the right direction i will
                                        research it myslef.

                                        Andrew-James Taylor –

                                        - Andrew (AN-droo) has Greek origin meaning "strong man"/"manly" -

                                        - James (JAYMZ) Scottish for "leader" or hebrew for "supplanter"-
                                        ie "displace, overthrow, remove, replace, take the place of"

                                        - Taylor - a tailor - going by my Scottish clan the surname is
                                        decended from a cameron clansman "Tailear Dubh na Tuaighe"(gaelic)
                                        meaning "Black tailor of the axe".

                                        so for Andrew-James Taylor it would be "strong man-leader, Tailor of
                                        the black axe"???
                                        quenya - strong = "polda", man = "Atan" , strong man = Polda-Atan ,
                                        leader/chieftain = "haran"
                                        tailor = "Cirithron", black ="mori-" axe = "pelekko" – black-axe
                                        = "mori-pelekko" - of the black axe – "mori-pelekko-wa"???

                                        so for Andrew-James taylor in "quenya" would be: "Polda-Atan haran,
                                        Cirithron mori-pelekkowa" – this looks a bit long winded any help??

                                        I tried it for my girlfriend as well which looks and sounds a lot
                                        better:
                                        Lynne McPherson

                                        - Lynne (LIN) welsh for "lake" –

                                        - MacPherson Scottish for "Son of the Parson" parson - preacher,
                                        priest, etc

                                        and Lynne McPherson would be "lake, son of parson" or "lake,daughter
                                        of parson"
                                        quenya - lake = "ailin" or "linya",
                                        son of - parson/preacher/divine – "valya" since its femmine "valya-
                                        iel"???

                                        so Lynne Macpherson would be - "linya valyiel"????