Re: [elfscript] the circumflex

  • erilaz@earthlink.net
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 25, 2001
      Danny Andriës writes:

      >I have a theory, but not one
      >iota of evidence to support it. The diphthong 'ae' could not be
      >represented by the 'a' tengwa with the 'e' tehta (´) over it because
      >the acute accent was used for the andaith in the full writing modes.
      >Might the circumflex not represent a small yanta to signify a following
      >'e'?

      Certainly. Since yanta represents /e/ in this mode, a small superscript
      yanta is a perfectly reasonable representation for the "e" of /ae/ and
      /oe/. I'm reminded of early German printed books, such as the 1493
      Nuremberg Chronicle, in which the umlaut vowels were represented by <a>,
      <o>, and <u> with small e's printed above them.

      Arden R. Smith erilaz@...

      --Lewis Carroll,
      _Through the Looking-glass_
    • Mans Bjorkman
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 26, 2001
        erilaz@... wrote:

        > Danny Andriës writes:
        >
        > >I have a theory, but not one
        > >iota of evidence to support it. The diphthong 'ae' could not be
        > >represented by the 'a' tengwa with the 'e' tehta (´) over it because
        > >the acute accent was used for the andaith in the full writing modes.
        > >Might the circumflex not represent a small yanta to signify a following
        > >'e'?
        >
        > Certainly. Since yanta represents /e/ in this mode, a small superscript
        > yanta is a perfectly reasonable representation for the "e" of /ae/ and

        Besides, in the King's Letter version II (published in Vinyar Tengwar
        #29), this e-tehta is written so that there can be no doubt that it is
        in fact a superscripted _yanta_.

        Yours,
        Måns

        --