Re: [elfscript] looking for a translation for a ring

    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 11, 2002
      > Hello Lotr fans,
      > Can somebody translate in quenya the following words:
      >
      > "harmony passion joy eternity love wisdom abundance
      > fidelity"

      "Harmony" and "fidelity" have no obvious translations in the published
      corpus, and we can get no closer to "passion" than simply _felme_
      "feeling". For "wisdom" we may coin the abstract *_sailie_ from Tolkien's
      adjective _saila_ "wise". The other words are easy: _alasse_ "joy", _oire_,
      _oio_ or _oiale_ "eternity", _melme_ "love", _úve_ "abundance".

      > And the sentence "Natacha loves Nicolas"

      "Loves" translates as _mele_ (or _méla_). It may be, though, that this is a
      less than ideal word. Tolkien noted that the MEL- stem refers to love
      between friends; maybe it does not properly refer to erotic love between
      the sexes (and that goes for the noun _melme_ as well). But we have no
      better translation of "love", verb or noun.

      - HF