Re: [elfscript] looking for a translation for a ring

    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 5, 2002
      teithant natacha stow

      > Does it mean something to type something in english
      > and use the tengwar cursive font? (does it at least
      > sound the same?)

      a possibility

      > If not, wich is the most 'romantic' and appropriate,
      > quenya or sindarin?

      quenya (in my oppinion

    • natacha stow
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 8, 2002
        We spend the weekend trying to find a new text to
        write on the ring.
        So here is the text we want to translate in quenya:

        'harmony passion joy eternity love wisdom abundance
        fidelity' for the outside of the ring

        'Natacha loves Nicolas loves' for the inside of the
        ring

        we will use the tengwar quenya fonts for the final
        inscription

        thx to all

        Natacha and Nicolas

      • natacha stow
        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 9, 2002
          Hello Lotr fans,
          Can somebody translate in quenya the following words:

          "harmony passion joy eternity love wisdom abundance
          fidelity"

          And the sentence "Natacha loves Nicolas"

          we plan to use the tengwar quenya fonts for the final
          inscription on the ring, is it right?

          Thanks

          Natacha

          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 11, 2002
            > Hello Lotr fans,
            > Can somebody translate in quenya the following words:
            >
            > "harmony passion joy eternity love wisdom abundance
            > fidelity"

            "Harmony" and "fidelity" have no obvious translations in the published
            corpus, and we can get no closer to "passion" than simply _felme_
            "feeling". For "wisdom" we may coin the abstract *_sailie_ from Tolkien's
            adjective _saila_ "wise". The other words are easy: _alasse_ "joy", _oire_,
            _oio_ or _oiale_ "eternity", _melme_ "love", _úve_ "abundance".

            > And the sentence "Natacha loves Nicolas"

            "Loves" translates as _mele_ (or _méla_). It may be, though, that this is a
            less than ideal word. Tolkien noted that the MEL- stem refers to love
            between friends; maybe it does not properly refer to erotic love between
            the sexes (and that goes for the noun _melme_ as well). But we have no
            better translation of "love", verb or noun.

            - HF