the Sarati

  • Ales Bican
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 23, 2001
      Did anyone think about a possible way of aplying the Sarati
      for Quenya? As far as I am aware we only know the usage
      of the letters for English.

      Ales Bican

      --
      **Flowers blossom. In the winter time. (Moloko, _The time is now_)
    • Lisa Star
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 23, 2001
        >From: Ales Bican <bican@...>
        >To: "elfscript@egroups.com" <elfscript@egroups.com>
        >Subject: [elfscript] the Sarati
        >Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2001 20:20:29 +0100
        >

        >Did anyone think about a possible way of applying the Sarati
        >for Quenya? As far as I am aware we only know the usage
        >of the letters for English.

        **I did and it doesn't work very well. You have to use two different letters
        to spell Q which is a very common sound in the early Qenya of Tol Eressea
        (where the sarati would be expected to be known and used). It is too wide
        to fit in a column. There are other problems, but the alphabet is not a
        good fit to the phonology of the language. Perhaps there is a better way of
        doing it in the unpublished information--I don't know.

        ** Lisa Star
        ** LisaStar@...
      • Mans Bjorkman
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 26, 2001
          Ales Bican wrote:

          > Did anyone think about a possible way of aplying the Sarati
          > for Quenya? As far as I am aware we only know the usage
          > of the letters for English.

          Apart from Lisa Star's adaption, Ryszard Derdzinski uses the Sarati in a
          Quendya translation of the Valaquenta. It can be seen at
          <http://www.kki.net.pl/~galadorn/valaqenta.htm>.

          Yours,
          Måns

          --
          Måns Björkman "Mun þu mik!
          Störtloppsvägen 8, III Man þik.
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 3, 2001
            Lisa Star wrote:

            > >Did anyone think about a possible way of applying the Sarati
            > >for Quenya? As far as I am aware we only know the usage
            > >of the letters for English.
            >
            > **I did and it doesn't work very well. You have to use two different letters
            > to spell Q

            **Mans Bjorkman draw my attention to Ryscard Derhanski's
            Sarati text. (Thanks Mans!) He solved this problem having
            used the sarat /k/ and /u/, which might cause some
            confusions: e.g. _cuile_ could be read as _quile_.

            > which is a very common sound in the early Qenya of Tol Eressea
            > (where the sarati would be expected to be known and used).

            **So you used it for Qenya as known from Qenyaqetsa?
            TI:453 says that the Aphabet of Ruumil was still used by
            the Lindar (the Vanyar) in Valinor.

            > It is too wide
            > to fit in a column. There are other problems, but the alphabet is not a
            > good fit to the phonology of the language. Perhaps there is a better way of
            > doing it in the unpublished information--I don't know.

            **It is possible.

            Seems that you and Ryscard actually used the values of the Sarati
            as known from the English way of its usage.

            I was thinking slightly otherwise. We know an English mode
            for the Tengwar and we know an English mode for the Sarati.
            What about combining them?

            We know that the tincoteema is used for Q /t/, /nd/, /th/,
            /nt/ and /n/, and Eng. /t/, /d/, /th/, /th/ (= /dh/) and /n/.
            The dental series is also found in the Sarati. So what about
            using the Sarati for Eng. /t/, /d/, /th/, /dh/, /n/ for Quenya
            /t/, /nd/, /th/, /nt/ /n/?

            Similarly with the parmateema, calmateema and quesseteema.
            Therefore we get a single sarat for /qu/.

            But we will not know a sarat for /ng/ (Ngoldo), because this
            sarat is not known even in English mode (the sarat for Eng. /x/
            or Q /hw/ was guessed).

            We lack Grade 6 for voiceless nasals: used for /r/, /v/, /y/ and
            /w/ in Q.

            Grade 2 in the Quenya mode for the Tengwar is used
            for the combinations /nd/, /mb/, /ng/ and /ngw/;
            Grade 4 for /nt/, /mp/, /nc/ and /nqu/.
            I think once Quenya had sounds /d/, /b/, /g/ and /gw/
            before they were lost or merged with other sounds.
            We know of _Aldudeenie_ for example.
            Grade 4 could have been used for /dh/, /v/, /gh/ and /ghw/
            resp. /w/.

            We also have the additional letters.
            We do not know sarati for /rd/ (resp. /rh/) and /ld/
            (resp. /hl/). Not given.
            Grade 8 might have been used for /s/, /s/ (a variant),
            /z/ and /z/ (a variant).
            Grade 9 for /hy/, /hw/ (?? -- hwesta sindarinwa), /y/ and /w/.

            Slightly weird, I would say...

            Ales Bican

            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 4, 2001
              Ales Bican wrote:

              > Seems that [Lisa] and Ryscard actually used the values of the Sarati
              > as known from the English way of its usage.
              >
              > I was thinking slightly otherwise. We know an English mode
              > for the Tengwar and we know an English mode for the Sarati.
              > What about combining them?
              >
              > [...]

              Although it is possible the concept of different 'modes' for different
              languages was manifest already in the Sarati, I do not think so. Rather,
              I think this was one of the innovations of Feanor; the one which
              prompted the simple, systematic design of his letters, compared to which
              the sarati have an very inconsistent, varied appearance.

              I have a theory which, as long as we have just one sample Sarati
              document, stands on rather shaky grounds -- but I shall venture to voice
              it here. I am under the impression that many, if not all, of the sarati
              are meant to depict the method or means with which each phoneme is
              articulated. For instance, the /m/ shows the two lips pressed against
              each other; the /r/ and /l/ portray the oral cavity, partially blocked
              by the tongue (the inner stroke); the unvoiced /th/ depicts in profile
              the tongue being pressed against the upper row of teeth; and so on. (The
              voiced letters are usually based on the corresponding unvoiced ones,
              with an element doubled.) A present-day parallel would be the Korean
              alphabet, Han'gul, which was designed along the same lines. If this
              theory of mine is correct, then there can of course have been no Sarati
              'modes' the same way there were modes for the Tengwar. But as stated,
              the theory needs a good deal more evidence before we can seriously
              consider it.

              Yours,
              Måns

              --
              Måns Björkman "Mun þu mik!
              Störtloppsvägen 8, III Man þik.
              SE-129 46 Hägersten Un þu mer!
            • Abrigon
              Message 6 of 7 , Dec 15, 2001
                I wonder what sort of script would work best for Quenya. Tengwar and
                what form? Or another script altogether.

                The question of the Sarati, likely Sarati is not for Quenya, but for
                the lingo(sp) of the Vala?

                Mike
                Melkor what a wierd being.
              • Måns Björkman
                Message 7 of 7 , Dec 16, 2001
                  Abrigon wrote:

                  > I wonder what sort of script would work best for Quenya. Tengwar and
                  > what form? Or another script altogether.
                  >
                  > The question of the Sarati, likely Sarati is not for Quenya, but for
                  > the lingo(sp) of the Vala?

                  Both the Sarati and the Tengwar were originally designed with Quenya in
                  mind: both were invented by Quenya-speaking Noldor. The Sarati in the
                  form we know it from the "Turin Prose Fragment", however, is used for
                  English, and it is quite possible that some other version of the script
                  was used for Rúmil's own language.

                  The Tengwar, on the other hand, are quite safe to use for Quenya, since
                  there are a number of examples -- though one will usually want to use
                  one of the specific Quenya modes. A simplified description of such a
                  mode can be found at http://www.forodrim.org/daeron/md_teng_primers.html

                  Yrs,

                  Måns