Re: [elfscript] looking for a translation for a ring

  • natacha stow
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 5 10:59 AM
      My future wife is also reluctant to use the black
      speech. What we like is the font. What would you
      suggest so that our wedding ring will not be cursed?
      Does it mean something to type something in english
      and use the tengwar cursive font? (does it at least
      sound the same?)
      If not, wich is the most 'romantic' and appropriate,
      quenya or sindarin?

      Thanks again for your help

      Natacha and Nicolas

      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 5 2:19 PM
        teithant natacha stow

        > Does it mean something to type something in english
        > and use the tengwar cursive font? (does it at least
        > sound the same?)

        a possibility

        > If not, wich is the most 'romantic' and appropriate,
        > quenya or sindarin?

        quenya (in my oppinion

      • natacha stow
        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 8 3:15 AM
          We spend the weekend trying to find a new text to
          write on the ring.
          So here is the text we want to translate in quenya:

          'harmony passion joy eternity love wisdom abundance
          fidelity' for the outside of the ring

          'Natacha loves Nicolas loves' for the inside of the
          ring

          we will use the tengwar quenya fonts for the final
          inscription

          thx to all

          Natacha and Nicolas

        • natacha stow
          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 9 3:56 PM
            Hello Lotr fans,
            Can somebody translate in quenya the following words:

            "harmony passion joy eternity love wisdom abundance
            fidelity"

            And the sentence "Natacha loves Nicolas"

            we plan to use the tengwar quenya fonts for the final
            inscription on the ring, is it right?

            Thanks

            Natacha

            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 11 2:16 PM
              > Hello Lotr fans,
              > Can somebody translate in quenya the following words:
              >
              > "harmony passion joy eternity love wisdom abundance
              > fidelity"

              "Harmony" and "fidelity" have no obvious translations in the published
              corpus, and we can get no closer to "passion" than simply _felme_
              "feeling". For "wisdom" we may coin the abstract *_sailie_ from Tolkien's
              adjective _saila_ "wise". The other words are easy: _alasse_ "joy", _oire_,
              _oio_ or _oiale_ "eternity", _melme_ "love", _úve_ "abundance".

              > And the sentence "Natacha loves Nicolas"

              "Loves" translates as _mele_ (or _méla_). It may be, though, that this is a
              less than ideal word. Tolkien noted that the MEL- stem refers to love
              between friends; maybe it does not properly refer to erotic love between
              the sexes (and that goes for the noun _melme_ as well). But we have no
              better translation of "love", verb or noun.

              - HF