Re: [elfscript] looking for a translation for a ring

  • DDanielA@webtv.net
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 5 8:58 AM
      I agree with Gildor about there not being a word for 'joy' in the Black
      Speech; I doubt that there was need for that particular vocabulary item
      in Mordor. And I also agree very strongly that the One Ring is not an
      appropriate model for a wedding Ring.

      "Honey, remember the One Ring in 'The Lord of the Rings'? You know, the
      ring that the Dark Lord used to enslave others, and bend them to his
      evil will? The ring that corrupted everyone who attempted to possess it?
      The ring so imbued with malice and evil that the only way that to save
      the world from its power was to destroy it? Wouldn't that serve as a
      perfect symbol of our love and devotion?"

      Cuio mae, Danny.
    • natacha stow
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 5 10:59 AM
        My future wife is also reluctant to use the black
        speech. What we like is the font. What would you
        suggest so that our wedding ring will not be cursed?
        Does it mean something to type something in english
        and use the tengwar cursive font? (does it at least
        sound the same?)
        If not, wich is the most 'romantic' and appropriate,
        quenya or sindarin?

        Thanks again for your help

        Natacha and Nicolas

        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 5 2:19 PM
          teithant natacha stow

          > Does it mean something to type something in english
          > and use the tengwar cursive font? (does it at least
          > sound the same?)

          a possibility

          > If not, wich is the most 'romantic' and appropriate,
          > quenya or sindarin?

          quenya (in my oppinion

        • natacha stow
          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 8 3:15 AM
            We spend the weekend trying to find a new text to
            write on the ring.
            So here is the text we want to translate in quenya:

            'harmony passion joy eternity love wisdom abundance
            fidelity' for the outside of the ring

            'Natacha loves Nicolas loves' for the inside of the
            ring

            we will use the tengwar quenya fonts for the final
            inscription

            thx to all

            Natacha and Nicolas

          • natacha stow
            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 9 3:56 PM
              Hello Lotr fans,
              Can somebody translate in quenya the following words:

              "harmony passion joy eternity love wisdom abundance
              fidelity"

              And the sentence "Natacha loves Nicolas"

              we plan to use the tengwar quenya fonts for the final
              inscription on the ring, is it right?

              Thanks

              Natacha

              Message 6 of 10 , Jul 11 2:16 PM
                > Hello Lotr fans,
                > Can somebody translate in quenya the following words:
                >
                > "harmony passion joy eternity love wisdom abundance
                > fidelity"

                "Harmony" and "fidelity" have no obvious translations in the published
                corpus, and we can get no closer to "passion" than simply _felme_
                "feeling". For "wisdom" we may coin the abstract *_sailie_ from Tolkien's
                adjective _saila_ "wise". The other words are easy: _alasse_ "joy", _oire_,
                _oio_ or _oiale_ "eternity", _melme_ "love", _úve_ "abundance".

                > And the sentence "Natacha loves Nicolas"

                "Loves" translates as _mele_ (or _méla_). It may be, though, that this is a
                less than ideal word. Tolkien noted that the MEL- stem refers to love
                between friends; maybe it does not properly refer to erotic love between
                the sexes (and that goes for the noun _melme_ as well). But we have no
                better translation of "love", verb or noun.

                - HF