Re: [elfscript] looking for a translation for a ring

  • natacha stow
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 5 2:25 AM
      First, thanks for helping us.
      We read all your links and we got lost since we are
      not formed as linguist. It is hard for us to know if
      the ring is spoken in quenya or sindarin, since they
      say that it is the 'black speech'...

      We have the following transcription:

      ash nazg durbatulûk, ash nazg gimbatul,
      ash nazg thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul

      So it should be just one word to change (darkness ->
      joy), translate using tengwar scribe and the ring
      should look nearly the same as the One ring.
      Can you give us the translation of this word?

      Thanks again

      Natacha and Nicolas

      tence natacha_stow

      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 5 3:32 AM
        teithant natacha stow

        > We read all your links and we got lost since we are
        > not formed as linguist. It is hard for us to know if
        > the ring is spoken in quenya or sindarin, since they
        > say that it is the 'black speech'...

        it's not Quenya, nor Sindarin.. it's Black Speech, the
        language of Sauron and his lieutenants (not very
        appropriate for a wedding ring, eh?)

        > We have the following transcription:
        >
        > ash nazg durbatulϋk, ash nazg gimbatul,
        > ash nazg thrakatulϋk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul
        >
        > So it should be just one word to change (darkness ->
        > joy), translate using tengwar scribe and the ring
        > should look nearly the same as the One ring.
        > Can you give us the translation of this word?

        no.. we don't know the word for "joy" in the Black
        Speech, and I doubt if such word existed in that
        language...

        however we can translate all of it in elvish (Quenya
        or Sindarin).. if you are interested, you tell us
        which of them, and then we transcribe (not
        "translate") in Tengwar..

        it will LOOK like the One Ring with the same
        handwritting :)

        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 5 8:58 AM
          I agree with Gildor about there not being a word for 'joy' in the Black
          Speech; I doubt that there was need for that particular vocabulary item
          in Mordor. And I also agree very strongly that the One Ring is not an
          appropriate model for a wedding Ring.

          "Honey, remember the One Ring in 'The Lord of the Rings'? You know, the
          ring that the Dark Lord used to enslave others, and bend them to his
          evil will? The ring that corrupted everyone who attempted to possess it?
          The ring so imbued with malice and evil that the only way that to save
          the world from its power was to destroy it? Wouldn't that serve as a
          perfect symbol of our love and devotion?"

          Cuio mae, Danny.
        • natacha stow
          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 5 10:59 AM
            My future wife is also reluctant to use the black
            speech. What we like is the font. What would you
            suggest so that our wedding ring will not be cursed?
            Does it mean something to type something in english
            and use the tengwar cursive font? (does it at least
            sound the same?)
            If not, wich is the most 'romantic' and appropriate,
            quenya or sindarin?

            Thanks again for your help

            Natacha and Nicolas

            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 5 2:19 PM
              teithant natacha stow

              > Does it mean something to type something in english
              > and use the tengwar cursive font? (does it at least
              > sound the same?)

              a possibility

              > If not, wich is the most 'romantic' and appropriate,
              > quenya or sindarin?

              quenya (in my oppinion

            • natacha stow
              Message 6 of 10 , Jul 8 3:15 AM
                We spend the weekend trying to find a new text to
                write on the ring.
                So here is the text we want to translate in quenya:

                'harmony passion joy eternity love wisdom abundance
                fidelity' for the outside of the ring

                'Natacha loves Nicolas loves' for the inside of the
                ring

                we will use the tengwar quenya fonts for the final
                inscription

                thx to all

                Natacha and Nicolas

              • natacha stow
                Message 7 of 10 , Jul 9 3:56 PM
                  Hello Lotr fans,
                  Can somebody translate in quenya the following words:

                  "harmony passion joy eternity love wisdom abundance
                  fidelity"

                  And the sentence "Natacha loves Nicolas"

                  we plan to use the tengwar quenya fonts for the final
                  inscription on the ring, is it right?

                  Thanks

                  Natacha

                  Message 8 of 10 , Jul 11 2:16 PM
                    > Hello Lotr fans,
                    > Can somebody translate in quenya the following words:
                    >
                    > "harmony passion joy eternity love wisdom abundance
                    > fidelity"

                    "Harmony" and "fidelity" have no obvious translations in the published
                    corpus, and we can get no closer to "passion" than simply _felme_
                    "feeling". For "wisdom" we may coin the abstract *_sailie_ from Tolkien's
                    adjective _saila_ "wise". The other words are easy: _alasse_ "joy", _oire_,
                    _oio_ or _oiale_ "eternity", _melme_ "love", _úve_ "abundance".

                    > And the sentence "Natacha loves Nicolas"

                    "Loves" translates as _mele_ (or _méla_). It may be, though, that this is a
                    less than ideal word. Tolkien noted that the MEL- stem refers to love
                    between friends; maybe it does not properly refer to erotic love between
                    the sexes (and that goes for the noun _melme_ as well). But we have no
                    better translation of "love", verb or noun.

                    - HF