Sindarin word coined

  • DDanielA@webtv.net
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 9, 2001
    • Angasule
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 9, 2001
        DDanielA@... wrote:

        > Suilaid, mellyn nîn! I have coined a word in Sindarin, and I would
        > appreciate the opinion of those of you more versed in the 'noble
        > tongue'
        > than I. My interests include, as I have mentioned before, tengwar
        > calligraphy, and therefore wanted to coin a Sindarin word for
        > 'calligraphy'. I constructed a word by analogy of the etymology of the
        > word 'calligraphy', from Greek 'kallos' (or actually the feminine
        > 'kalle', considering the noun it modifies is feminine) = 'beautiful',
        > and 'graphia' (from 'graphein' = 'to write') = 'script, writing'. In
        > Noldorin we have a word for 'beautiful, fair': 'bein'. This should
        > presumably become 'bain' in mature Sindarin. I took the verb 'teitho'
        > =
        > 'write' and and turned it into a gerund: 'teithad'. As the second
        > element of a compound word, I felt it should be lenited. The result:
        > baindeithad. Does this sound acceptable, or does anyone have a better
        > suggestion? Cuio mae! – Danny Andriës.
        I'm not sure if lenition should be applied in that case (I'm not sure
        as in "I've no idea"!), maybe you should ask in Elfling which I think
        would be a better place to coin new words (and later announcing them
        here so it's common knowledge, of course). I like the word, though.
        Angasule

        PD: Please, don't send those pictures in your signature again, they add
        50kb to each email, to those of us who pay for our connection time it
        really does matter.