Help needed, please!

  • skyfiery
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 4, 2002
      I'm helping a friend of mine set up a site for her project, and we
      decided to do a site on tengwar. Unfortunately, I'm not sure how to
      get the fonts typed out on the site, and I don't know how to get the
      correct phoenetic-tengwar font typed out using Dan Smith's fonts, eg.
      I tried typing my Elven name: Alakhis out. What I got for
      the "direct" keyboard "translation" was:

      1. A= #3
      2. l = #33
      3. a =#3
      4. k = #31
      5. h = #23
      6. i = #30
      7. s = #7

      But I know the correct way to write it (in classical mode) is :
      1. #27 with circumflex
      2. #11 with circumflex
      3. #30 with single over-dot

      Can anyone guide me in how to get the correct phoenetic-font typed
      out? On a geocities site directly. Thanks.
    • laurifindil
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 4, 2002
        --- In elfscript@y..., "skyfiery" <skyfiery@y...> wrote:
        > I'm helping a friend of mine set up a site for her project, and we
        > decided to do a site on tengwar. Unfortunately, I'm not sure how to
        > get the fonts typed out on the site, and I don't know how to get the
        > correct phoenetic-tengwar font typed out using Dan Smith's fonts, eg.
        > I tried typing my Elven name: Alakhis out. What I got for
        > the "direct" keyboard "translation" was:
        >
        > 1. A= #3
        > 2. l = #33
        > 3. a =#3
        > 4. k = #31
        > 5. h = #23
        > 6. i = #30
        > 7. s = #7
        >
        > But I know the correct way to write it (in classical mode) is :
        > 1. #27 with circumflex
        > 2. #11 with circumflex
        > 3. #30 with single over-dot
        >
        > Can anyone guide me in how to get the correct phoenetic-font typed
        > out? On a geocities site directly. Thanks.

        Alakhis does not exist in the Corpus of Elven names and it cannot be
        an Elven name, not matter how hard you try...

        I never read in Tolkiens' that there was a "classical mode" in
        tengwar...???
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 4, 2002
          teithant skyfiery

          > I tried typing my Elven name: Alakhis out. What I
          > got for
          > the "direct" keyboard "translation" was:
          >
          > 1. A= #3
          > 2. l = #33
          > 3. a =#3
          > 4. k = #31
          > 5. h = #23
          > 6. i = #30
          > 7. s = #7

          there is no direct keyboard "translation" (read
          "transcription") since the tengwar of those fonts
          aren't placed according to their pronounciation, but
          according to their place on the Tengwar Table of
          Appendix E

          so:

          1=t (#1)
          q=p (#2)
          a=c (#3)
          z=qu (#4)

          so if you want to write _a_ in tengwar, you don't
          press the key "a", since it corresponds to the tengwa
          for _c_!!

          > But I know the correct way to write it (in classical
          > mode) is :
          > 1. #27 with circumflex
          > 2. #11 with circumflex
          > 3. #30 with single over-dot

          i dont know what you are talking about

          > Can anyone guide me in how to get the correct
          > phoenetic-font typed
          > out? On a geocities site directly. Thanks.

          Dan Smith's site (which is a geocities one) from which
          you downloaded the font contains those guides.. search
          harder next time :)

        • skyfiery
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 4, 2002
            --- In elfscript@y..., Gildor Inglorion <elfiness@y...> wrote:
            > teithant skyfiery
            >
            > > I tried typing my Elven name: Alakhis out. What I
            > > got for
            > > the "direct" keyboard "translation" was:
            > >
            > > 1. A= #3
            > > 2. l = #33
            > > 3. a =#3
            > > 4. k = #31
            > > 5. h = #23
            > > 6. i = #30
            > > 7. s = #7
            >
            > there is no direct keyboard "translation" (read
            > "transcription") since the tengwar of those fonts
            > aren't placed according to their pronounciation, but
            > according to their place on the Tengwar Table of
            > Appendix E
            >
            > so:
            >
            > 1=t (#1)
            > q=p (#2)
            > a=c (#3)
            > z=qu (#4)
            >
            > so if you want to write _a_ in tengwar, you don't
            > press the key "a", since it corresponds to the tengwa
            > for _c_!!
            >
            > > But I know the correct way to write it (in classical
            > > mode) is :
            > > 1. #27 with circumflex
            > > 2. #11 with circumflex
            > > 3. #30 with single over-dot
            >
            > i dont know what you are talking about
            >
            > > Can anyone guide me in how to get the correct
            > > phoenetic-font typed
            > > out? On a geocities site directly. Thanks.
            >
            > Dan Smith's site (which is a geocities one) from which
            > you downloaded the font contains those guides.. search
            > harder next time :)

            ***Gildor: Yep, I know there's no such name; got it from the barrows-
            down. The exact one should be Tirinwe=vigilang=Casey. But yeah...

            ***Hm...all right. I'll try around again and see what I come up with.
            Btw, I'm not very sure how to express tengwar either. Sorry *blushes*